Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 04-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Current state of vintage drum prices?

What do you think? I'm seeing lots of mixed signals. We're definitely not at the pre-2008 crazy price levels, and I see items sitting for a long time, but I also see buyers having difficulty finding certain items even for premium prices. It's a strange market right now IMO.

Late 50s Black Nitron 3 Ply Gretsch 13/16/20 w/ Max Roach Snare
Old 04-17-2015, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Current state of vintage drum prices?

Market is soft except for perfect examples of collector grade gear. And that puts many people on the sidelines waiting for prices to rise, so inventory is lower. That's what I'm seeing in general.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:03 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

And my guess some people bought high and don't want to sell for a loss or to break even. I don't blame them a bit.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:45 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

In my market I am seeing insane prices a lot of the times for not so desirable drum kit.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppies View Post
What do you think? I'm seeing lots of mixed signals. We're definitely not at the pre-2008 crazy price levels, and I see items sitting for a long time, but I also see buyers having difficulty finding certain items even for premium prices. It's a strange market right now IMO.
Totally agree... There's "something in the air" L.O.L.

What I'm seeing is a new scenario with no more bargains or "crazy opportunities"....

Every single old dusty/rusty drum owner are trying to keep valuable their stuff.

Nothing particularly wrong with that, just a new context for us guys!!

Ludwig '67 Classic B.D.P.
Ludwig '79 Classic Pro-beat
C. A. F. '72 New Sonic "The Argentinean Ludwig"
A bunch of Ludwig snares..... + Dyna & P.Tone.

and always trying to recover some orphan drums!!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:43 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

We've discussed this in several other threads. I'm a forum member who prefers Slingerland drums. I also have a strong liking for Leedy by Slingerland drums and Walberg & Auge drums. I've been fortunate to buy or trade for great drum sets of these brands with relatively small outlays of cash. In my recent downsizing efforts, I sold one vintage Slingerland set and one vintage Leedy set after listing them in this forum and on eBay. I asked for, and received current fair market value for these drums. I also sold a Fibes fiberglass set for a very fair market value. All things considered, I made a few bucks on each drum set sale-enough to cover the shipping and packing materials costs that I factored in to the selling prices, but not enough to offset the selling fees. My take-away from these experiences is that I had three nice drum sets for a while that ended up costing me just a little money for the years that I owned them. If I were in the market to buy or trade for some vintage drums, I think that I could end up with a nice set of Slingerland, Leedy, or W&A drums at bargain prices. I don't have any experience with other brands except for Ludwig Standard Series which was a similar buying experience as the other brands I own.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:01 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have been buying high in the last few years and can't seem to break even let alone make a buck.untill this year I sold a few drums and made 25 % on them to me not bad, it's been a far cry from the days if the 500 dollar purchase and the 5 k resell that won't happen no more for sure, but I see fair profits is in the turn around, I sold my blue note for a fair profit not a lot but still made money and I paid through the nose for it I am seeing a quest for certain drums but they have to be clean and no mods personally I think the sweet spot is gone and what we have left in our arsenals is it . the rest people are trying to get 3 k for a kit that's been to hell and back and is so altered it's not even a good players drum my 2 cents
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825

Last edited by jaghog; 04-17-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I say it's pretty bad overall. Except for vintage 60s Ludwig and Gretsch. And of course Camco.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

I have been talking up the advantage of owning "Vintage drum kits" in place of purchasing newly manufactured drum kits available at our local "Big Box Music" instrument retailers.
My key points to parents; Great Sound and Solid Construction.
IMO: a Great Way to be Green and Recycle!
Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

The flippers and strippers drive up the costs because it is a speculative market. I think the deals are in basements and attics and the repair and restore tips here are great to get a drum back to playing music rather than collecting dust.