Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Burying Cymbals - Before and After
I buried some cymbals and actually got some changes in look and sound. There is actually something to the myth Here is a link to the first of five video/s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtSo...F7NmQMURcHmVGd
Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Burying Cymbals - Before and After
I've buried a few. Mixed results.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cool Re: Burying Cymbals - Before and After
How long do you bury them for?

Cheers
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Is this how Cymbal Trees came about ???

John
Old 08-23-2017, 11:43 AM

Nicely done videos! I like how you have documented all of the steps.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:18 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks gunnellett!
I buried mine for about a month. But I think how much it rains in a given period makes a huge difference.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Very nice work, AR!

Thanks for taking the time to document this for us and to record it for us to have as a handy reference!

Overall, as you found out, it seems like a lot of work for a very minimal difference in sound. The brass and B8 seemed to tarnish more than the B20, as you pointed out. I wonder what leaving them buried for a full year would do, especially with the freeze of winter? I didn't notice much of a sound difference, but perhaps playing them or being in the same room I would have.

A little constructive criticism on your videos, if I may:

1) Your "overlay" music is way too loud, especially when compared to the volume of you talking and playing your drums. I got blasted when your "overlay" music kicked in. It would be helpful if you could level those out somehow.

2) I appreciate you putting your helpful tips as text on the screen, but it was impossible to read them in the short time they were flashed up there. Yes, I did go back and pause the video so I could read it, but again, just something to consider.

Overall, I really enjoyed the videos, and thanks again for sacrificing your time and effort to document this for the rest of us. Good work, buddy!

V
Old 08-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Very nice work, AR!

Thanks for taking the time to document this for us and to record it for us to have as a handy reference!

Overall, as you found out, it seems like a lot of work for a very minimal difference in sound. The brass and B8 seemed to tarnish more than the B20, as you pointed out. I wonder what leaving them buried for a full year would do, especially with the freeze of winter? I didn't notice much of a sound difference, but perhaps playing them or being in the same room I would have.

A little constructive criticism on your videos, if I may:

1) Your "overlay" music is way too loud, especially when compared to the volume of you talking and playing your drums. I got blasted when your "overlay" music kicked in. It would be helpful if you could level those out somehow.

2) I appreciate you putting your helpful tips as text on the screen, but it was impossible to read them in the short time they were flashed up there. Yes, I did go back and pause the video so I could read it, but again, just something to consider.

Overall, I really enjoyed the videos, and thanks again for sacrificing your time and effort to document this for the rest of us. Good work, buddy!

V
Thanks for the ideas. I was pressed for time, but I agree that the there are some things in my documentation/video editing that could have been done better.
There was a difference in sound, but as you stated nothing too drastic.
Originally, my reason for burying them was as much for a change in look as it was in a change in sound.
I bought a set of used hi-hats that had some great patina (cymbals looks liked some aged vintage Zildjians. They had the Zildjian stamp so I wasn't sure what series they were.
I made the mistake of cleaning them up and noticed that the color was different than the rest of my B20 and B8 cymbals. Come to find out, I think they are some cheap brass cymbals. Even though they were low end Zildijan cymbals, I liked how they sounded but not how they looked now since they didn't match the rest of my cymbals.
Therefore, they were the first ones I buried and I got the aged look back Sound wise I noticed (in person) that it took away some of the high pitch/harsher tones and give them a slightly drier sound. I have attached a pic of the cymbals before cleaning them, after cleaning them and then after burying them.
I have noticed that alot of the high end/high priced Meinl cymbals have the patina/aged look
Attached Thumbnails