Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > DRUM IMAGE GALLERY

Nur für Mitglieder!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: 68 Psych red

That is cool with a capital 'K'!

Great job!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Agopsalott

Great looking kit. What was the extent of the restoration job? Good luck finding a snare.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks for sharing!

Your kit looks flat-out stunning!

Just wondering how much work and time you had to put into the wrap itself? Was it quite faded when you purchased the drums or was it in a similar condition as to what we're seeing now? It appears to still have "lots of green" in it!

As far as the matching snare I wouldn't even concern myself with that. Chances are, even if you were fortunate enough to find one, the fade on that particular drum wouldn't match for the others in your kit. I would imagine that the cost of that piece would also be a "tad" high. Your kit looks just fine with the snare you've got in the pic PLUS you can use that baby with any and every kit you might have and not go wrong. Of course, if I does bother you that much, I happen to know a guy who'd be more than happy to take that kit off of your hands (lol)!

Last edited by OldSchool; 02-06-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Very nice kit . just amazing i love the the wrap and the hardware set up . it looks' like an add for ludwig . i can see my self going after a kit like that down the road . i truly hope you find the snare good luck on that .
All the best 2xs
Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

That is sooo stunning. My jaw is still open. Such class in that shiny brand new looking wrap, and the glistening supra, 1400's, speedking and spur lock! I have allways felt an attachment to psych. red after a personnal experience. Sad story, my school threw away two ludwig kits, one keystone BOP, one blue olive psych. red, wich they would've given me if I could find them. All that was left, (and happily in my posession), is the zildjian A 20'' ride, the 14'' medium thin hats, the speedking, and the 13'' psychedelic red rack tom, all from the blue olive kit. Lookling at your beautiful kit makes me wanna break something. Enjoy them!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agopsalott View Post
Great looking kit. What was the extent of the restoration job? Good luck finding a snare.
The wrap was in good shape when I bought them. The most fade is on top of the bass drum. I thought about doing the green Sharpie technique, but then the feeling went away. I removed all the hardware, polished the wrap with Novus. I replace the BD post bracket with one that is period correct. Removed all the rust, and replaced 2 hoops, and several lugs that had cement rash. I also replaced several tension rods and washers with period correct rods and brass washers. And replaced a few T rods and claws. On reassembly I put felt under the lug springs, and waxed everything with turtle wax. Then I set them up to take the pic. Then I set them up to play and hit them a lot with sticks. They sound great. Here's another view.

Thanks all for the encouraging words.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 Psychedelic red 017.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	25525  

Last edited by mfry55; 02-06-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Pretty cool!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Sweet..........!!