Old 07-22-2020, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Default Rogers set I got, what model is this set
I picked up this set for a steal but can't find a match in the catalogs.
It is a 13,14,16,24 with Super Ten snare. Has small paper tags inside with 9/72
See Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-22-2020, 08:47 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Rogers set I got, what model is this set
Geezzzzz! Here's another post about: "I can't find this exact setup in a catalog. What's it called"? Nothing against you. But, this is a long-standing pet peeve. Somebody ordered that configuration or pieced it together from the inventory at a music store. If it was my drum set, and it did not come to me with some outfit name that a marketing guy created for a catalog picture, I'd just call it something like Ernie--my black 197x Rogers drum set. Once again... please don't think that I'm bustin' your you know whats. Most of my drum sets over sixty years were never pictured in a catalog with an outfit name. Most of them fall under the wording in the small print about substituting different sizes than those pictured on the page of the catalog.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Fullerton made. I have a set exactly like them. Really nice drums. I'm not exactly sure of the ply, someone will chime in to let us know. I do know 9/72 is not the date. Mine has that too. I set mine up a little different. Usually as a four piece but sometimes place the 14" as a down tom on a Tama low floor tom stand. Leedybdp, I think there is a name for this set. I obviously have the same configuration. Rogers Londoner V maybe, in large sizes.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by vibes; 07-22-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:04 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibes View Post
Fullerton made. I have a set exactly like them. Really nice drums. I'm not exactly sure of the ply, someone will chime in to let us know. I do know 9/72 is not the date. Mine has that too. I set mine up a little different. Usually as a four piece but sometimes place the 14" as a down tom on a Tama low floor tom stand. Leedybdp, I think there is a name for this set. I obviously have the same configuration. Rogers Londoner V maybe, in large sizes.
As I said...someone could order a particular configuration--say Londoner V--but, with different sizes than shown in the catalog picture. Some music stores kept inventories of a lot of different sizes of the common colors of drums. But, most music stores rarely had more than two or three total drum sets in their stores at any time. I was fortunate to live within a few miles of Frank's Drum Shop and Bill Crowden's drums Limited in Chicago. I was like a kid in a candy shop whenever I'd go to ogle the huge drum inventories in the shop. There were hundreds of other drums in their respective warehouses.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Great info. Makes sense about the sizes. I just could not see any sets with the 24 base. Thought I would ask.
I did see in some searching that the Fullerton serial numbers with the B designation were from 74, also makes sense because that is around when they went back to the 3 ply.

I will call the set "Luther" after Mr. Vandross because he has a strong low voice just like these drums
Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_in_the_game View Post
Great info. Makes sense about the sizes. I just could not see any sets with the 24 base. Thought I would ask.
I did see in some searching that the Fullerton serial numbers with the B designation were from 74, also makes sense because that is around when they went back to the 3 ply.

I will call the set "Luther" after Mr. Vandross because he has a strong low voice just like these drums
Great name for a great set of drums. besides, I already have Ernie.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Geezzzzz! Here's another post about: "I can't find this exact setup in a catalog. What's it called"? Nothing against you. But, this is a long-standing pet peeve. Somebody ordered that configuration or pieced it together from the inventory at a music store. If it was my drum set, and it did not come to me with some outfit name that a marketing guy created for a catalog picture, I'd just call it something like Ernie--my black 197x Rogers drum set. Once again... please don't think that I'm bustin' your you know whats. Most of my drum sets over sixty years were never pictured in a catalog with an outfit name. Most of them fall under the wording in the small print about substituting different sizes than those pictured on the page of the catalog.
Again, this is a category of collecting drums that SOME of us like -that being getting a configuration that was named by the company in a catalog. Sure, you could buy anything you wanted (and most of us did) other than the cataloged/named configurations. -nothing wrong with that option! BUT...a lot of people now want to collect a configuration that can be visually referenced and authenticated as being that "suggested" configuration that was named by the company -whatever it may be..."Hollywood", "Jazzette". "Londoner", "Jet", "Downbeat". "Super Classic", "Deluxe Classic", "Octa-Plus", "Ultra Power Seven"....and so on.

IF you end up with a kit that wasn't a cataloged/named configuration, then it's not necessarily a letdown. The drums will still sound and play the same. But, having that added bit of catalog reference is a lot of fun, too.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 07-22-2020, 10:41 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have winnowed my drum collection down to a manageable five vintage sets (four regular drum sets and one cocktail set). Of these drum sets, I can find one pictured and named in Rogers catalogs from 1960 and 1964. The Silver Sparkle 1966 drum set (20-two 12s-16-matching snare) is identical to the Top Hat outfit in the catalogs. I'm pretty sure that my late 1960s Slingerland set (20-12-14) is a catalog staple for which I don't know a name designation. Anyone have a name for this configuration?
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-22-2020, 11:29 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Leedybdp, your "late sixties" Slingerlands are actually early seventies (no black/silver badges in the 60's) and are likely the cataloged set Modern Jazz Outfit 9N. http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/imag...drumsets10.jpg
Old 07-22-2020, 03:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thank you. That's them. I know that the drums were bought by the original owner at least a few years before the bicentennial. I've used a blue sparkle or a red sparkle Slingy snare with this set before I acquired this 4x13 Radio King snare as a retirement gift from one of my favorite customers--Rockin Robin in Houston.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by leedybdp; 07-22-2020 at 03:07 PM.