Old 09-03-2017, 05:15 PM

Default weird MIJ snare ?
Hello all,

Im new to this forum. Hopefully one of you guys can point me in the right direction with the search for this snares 'brand'. I guess it is a MIJ-snare? It is a metal snare, has a beautiful finish (at least I think so myself) and it has this nice oldtimey sound to it. I love to play it with brushes.

Anyone recognizes it? I can't seem to find a similar snare on the whole internet.

Greets!
Rikke
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Rikke; 09-03-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: weird MIJ snare ?
That drum is not MIJ. It is most likely German. People on here have discussed that stranded-sparkle wrap before. A wrapped metal shell...veeeeery interesting...I'd like to add that the lugs are nothing I have ever seen and may not be original to the drum. Many cast lugs fail after years of high tension and are replaced, typically with whatever works.

Last edited by teverson-sr; 09-04-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:33 PM
DrumBob

I was going to guess German also. You may want to Google German made drums. You might find more info. Good luck. One German company that made drums was called Korri, and I've attached a photo of one of their snares that showed up on Ebay years ago. I came close to buying it because it looked cool!

Most American drummers don't realize that there are many brands of Euro and other drums we never see in this country. There are British drums for instance, by Ajax, John Grey, Carlton, Beverly and Arbiter that you rarely see here. I was told that there are Japanese drums brands that aren't imported here, but that could be conjecture.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by DrumBob; 09-03-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 AM

Not MIJ imo, like others have said-German...would be my guess as well. Slotted tension rods are a tip off. Brit's used them quite a bit...but I'm sticking with German.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:33 PM
8upwithit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilok_Gurtu View Post
Not MIJ imo, like others have said-German...would be my guess as well. Slotted tension rods are a tip off. Brit's used them quite a bit...but I'm sticking with German.
The slotted rods look a lot like the ones Sonor used (uses?), which looked different than Premier's.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Are the tabs on snare wires marked on either side? That might provide a clue if they're original.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hello,

Don't think it's German made (but what do I know about vintage German drums ...).
I, too, never came across this remarkably different lug type.

Furtheron I believe that the wrap is just an adhesive foil added to the metal shell some time later. What does the area around the acoustic hole say? Are there any markings from a previous badge visible?

Cheers, Ralf