Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Peedy Peedy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 37
Default Thoughts on mixing 50s & Modern HHs?

Was wondering what you all thought about mixing hi hats from different eras?

I like the sound I get from using my 1999 Zildjian Z (2nd gen) Top as the bottom and my 1955ish A Zildjian as the Top. The weights are 708g/1116g. I've overcome the smaller 50s hole by using a friendly Gibraltar clutch.

The hitch is that the 50s HH measures in at 14 1/8 inch so it over hangs the other cymbal slightly.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Peedy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:11 PM
OddBall OddBall is online now
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 5,172
Default Re: Thoughts on mixing 50s & Modern HHs?

All that people will notice is how they sound. Do you like the way they sound.
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:19 PM
jaghog jaghog is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: chitown
Posts: 4,276
Default Re: Thoughts on mixing 50s & Modern HHs?

lol it just is not fit , stay pre 76 hollow ink stamp and back keep mix matching you find the sweet sound
__________________
1968 pink champagne Ludwig holly wood With 18 ft and downbeat snare, and jazz fest, supra
1961 cob super classic 400
some nice bronze pies
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood




once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-26-2017, 11:50 PM
Peedy Peedy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 37
Default Re: Thoughts on mixing 50s & Modern HHs?

Thanks for the replies. I like the sound very much. I do lean toward vintage cymbals, especially hi hats. I've got a first run (mid 60s) New Beat bottom that I pair with a hollow ink New Beat top from the mid to late 70s (780g top and 1130g bottom). The 50s top with Z bottom is an attempt to vary the sound. And geez, I think that I'm fully suckered in to the 50s Zildjian now that I've gotten that one!

No mics though. I'm a church player only. Nothing fancy. Equivalent to light rock so the vintage stuff blends in well.

Drum kit is a 4-pc Pearl export series plus my own Premier 2000 5.5 inch snare dated 1975. Crashes and ride are Sabian.

My biggest concern is the overhang coupled with the fact that the 50s Zildjian is paper thin.

Peedy

(I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy being a part of this forum!)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Vater Vater is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Charles Town, WV
Posts: 161
Default Re: Thoughts on mixing 50s & Modern HHs?

If you like the sound, that's all that matters. The great thing about percussion (i.e. creating a sound by hitting something with something else) is the practically unlimited amount of stuff you can use. If it sounds pleasing, it doesn't matter what it is. A friend of mine used to mount a brake drum from I think an old Buick on a snare stand. Made the loudest *clank* and sounded really cool.
__________________
Vintage kits:
1969 Rogers Holiday - black diamond pearl (20/16/13/12)
196x Star (Lyra/Majestic) - blue sparkle pearl (22/14/13) Restoration Project
Not-so-vintage kits:
2007 Hart Dynamics Professional 6.4 e-kit / Roland TDW-20
2009 Pearl ForumFZ - red wine (22/16/13/12 - for sale)
Snares:
60s Gretsch 5x14 maple WMP / 68 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic / 93 Pearl 3x14 Free Floating brass piccolo / 60s Star (Lyra) 5x14 luan blue sparkle pearl / 09 Pearl ForumFZ 5x14 red wine (for sale)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Black Label Black Label is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Default Re: Thoughts on mixing 50s & Modern HHs?

I mix and match all the time. At the moment I have a 15" Zildjian A Custom Rezo top hat as a bottom and a early 70's 15" 5 star Super Zyn top hat - it's an incredible sound pair. It's about the sound in the end. Nothing else matters.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Peedy Peedy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 37
Default Re: Thoughts on mixing 50s & Modern HHs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
I mix and match all the time. At the moment I have a 15" Zildjian A Custom Rezo top hat as a bottom and a early 70's 15" 5 star Super Zyn top hat - it's an incredible sound pair. It's about the sound in the end. Nothing else matters.
That's a very interesting pairing. I've been thinking about picking up a Super Zyn cymbal or two. They sort of match my vintage Premier drums and I've been curious to hear them up close and personal. Where did you find it?

The kit I actually play on has a dark K ride (I'm not a fan), the worst crash I've ever heard and a pair of modern A Customs. The A-Cs are ok but they're just not what I would have chosen.

Peedy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Black Label Black Label is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Default Re: Thoughts on mixing 50s & Modern HHs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedy View Post
That's a very interesting pairing. I've been thinking about picking up a Super Zyn cymbal or two. They sort of match my vintage Premier drums and I've been curious to hear them up close and personal. Where did you find it?

The kit I actually play on has a dark K ride (I'm not a fan), the worst crash I've ever heard and a pair of modern A Customs. The A-Cs are ok but they're just not what I would have chosen.

Peedy
Hi Peedy. I have a 15" set of Super Zyn 5 Star hats and an 18" Super Zyn 5 Star crash / ride - I believe that they are from the 70's. Then I also have a 16" Super Zyn crash which I believe may be from the 60's or even 50's. They are very well made and sound killer. The hats are like old 60's Thin A Zildjian hats (similar weighting - around 1000g top over a 1100 bottom) but slightly darker and crisper. The 16" is an unbelievable cymbal - and I don't even play 16's as a rule. It is dark and quick - like I would image an old Istanbul K 16 would sound. I don't play it too often as I am petrified that I may crack it - its very thin and I don't know how it survived for so many years. The 18" is a rather heavy crash ride (around 1800g) with a nice bright light ping and a heavy bright crash with a darkish fade. I really rate Super Zyn's - remember that the normal Zyn's and 2 Star Zyns are (apparently) not great as they were cheapies (don't know, Ive never heard one in person) but as for the my ones, I rate them right up there with the best of my other cymbals albeit Paiste or Zildjian. And they definitely have a vintage vibe going for them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Peedy Peedy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 37
Default Re: Thoughts on mixing 50s & Modern HHs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Hi Peedy. . . .The 16" is an unbelievable cymbal - and I don't even play 16's as a rule. It is dark and quick - like I would image an old Istanbul K 16 would sound. I don't play it too often as I am petrified that I may crack it - its very thin and I don't know how it survived for so many years. The 18" is a rather heavy crash ride (around 1800g) with a nice bright light ping and a heavy bright crash with a darkish fade. I really rate Super Zyn's - remember that the normal Zyn's and 2 Star Zyns are (apparently) not great as they were cheapies (don't know, Ive never heard one in person) but as for the my ones, I rate them right up there with the best of my other cymbals albeit Paiste or Zildjian. And they definitely have a vintage vibe going for them.

I get what you're saying. I feel the same way about a 30 year old set of Sabian Pros (original) that I got with my kit in 2014. 20 inch ride and an 18 inch crash. Even my drum instructor smiles when he hits them (60 year old touring professional with a percussion degree from Howard University). They just match what my brain says cymbals should sound like. And now they live happily with my B20 cymbals.

The wife and I have an agreement about purchasing such things (usually on eBay), that I can get anything I want so long as I sell something to pay for it. So with that, the vintage cymbal bug is biting me. Gonna troll the bay for some early Super Zyns.

Peedy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign