Old 05-21-2018, 04:14 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ancient Kauri shell
I have one,it is a segment shell lik3 yours,very soft wood,and very. Light weight.good tuning range,and will tune tabletop high and keep it's body.The iñteresting thing about mine is that you don't hear a lot of high end or crack when playing it, but. From out front 3 or 4 feet away you do.Has a fàt note with good low end,and plays and has response like my other segment drum which is walnut.Ttonally there is definitely a difference between the two.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamesuser View Post
I have one,it is a segment shell lik3 yours,very soft wood,and very. Light weight.good tuning range,and will tune tabletop high and keep it's body.The iñteresting thing about mine is that you don't hear a lot of high end or crack when playing it, but. From out front 3 or 4 feet away you do.Has a fàt note with good low end,and plays and has response like my other segment drum which is walnut.Ttonally there is definitely a difference between the two.
It is a very light shell .Would like to see how yours look .
Old 05-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

This wood was discovered buried in a 40 acre bog,probably a Forrest knocked down by a Tsunami,but it brought a bunch of this endangered hard to get wood available.IWill post pics of mine if I could find them.I finished mine with pure Tung oil,then did a so so job with paste wax on top,the way the wood caught the light is pretty spectacular .You could go for an understated finish,but the correct glossy finish could be fantastic if done right IMO.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cool Re: Ancient Kauri shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBass View Post
Its 30,000 to 50,000 years old wood .
Now, that is vintage!!

Cheers
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Old 05-23-2018, 04:08 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Cool story even with the bad juju attached to it .We had a Psychic Medium to come here for strange activities in a home we bought .That another story !!
I'd go for a priest rather than a medium.

It's a beautiful and interesting shell you got here. I'm curious how it will sound.

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Old 05-23-2018, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilnar View Post
I'd go for a priest rather than a medium.

It's a beautiful and interesting shell you got here. I'm curious how it will sound.
. I'm curious too on how it will sound when finish .My Czech wife had the medium come to the house not me !! LOL
Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
Beautiful shell. Will make a very nice snare! I agree with Mike keep the shell so the wood shows it's natural beauty.

Years ago my son built a custom guitar for a customer using that same wood. Same COA was included. Very challenging build with unique custom touches throughout. A one off build. Played and sounded great. Well every time the new owner picked it up and played it buzzed. Like a electronic glitch.... but it only buzzed when he played it no one else. Strange. My son went through the electronics twice! Still buzzed when the customer played it. The guy then had someone else hack in some new pickups and electronics. Same thing it buzzed only when he played it! He tried everything even grounding himself in the studio. The guy then by accident ran over the guitar after a gig. Backed over it with his car. He brought it back to my son in 2 pcs with new in hacked electronics and asked him if the warranty was still good on it??? My son said that wood has some bad juju attached to it and your not the one it wants. Sadly it was a total loss. My son did offer to repair the guitar structurally for free. But new electronics would be out of pocket since they were changed out by someone else and voided the warranty. It would never be quite the same though. The guy left with the guitar and said ok he'd be in touch. To this day never heard from again. Sorry for the long non drum related ramble. Thought it was a unique story to add here.
Holy crap Glenn, that guy was the one who was buzzing, he had to be stoned to run over his guitar. The nerve to ask if its under warranty.
Nobass, you have a very cool drum shell, what are your plans for it?

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Old 05-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
It is a very light shell . .
That explains why Dunnett wasn't happy with the sound. Hard, dense wood is going to be more resonant, return more sound, than a lighter, less-dense wood. Might be a good idea to seal both the inside and outside grain with a high quality clear lacquer in order to harden the wood a bit and increase the resonance of the shell. Sealing will also help to preserve the wood. Tung Oil is an excellent idea. It -hardens- after it soaks into the grain. Food for thought.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm

Last edited by Purdie Shuffle; 05-23-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccabinets View Post
Holy crap Glenn, that guy was the one who was buzzing, he had to be stoned to run over his guitar. The nerve to ask if its under warranty.
Nobass, you have a very cool drum shell, what are your plans for it?
I need to find another free floating snare for this one .The 2 I have are not the right size .
Attached Thumbnails
Old 05-24-2018, 05:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yep it was a weird build Jeff!

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.