Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-14-2015, 02:14 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default A couple of questions about 2 ludwig kits

Saw a couple of ads for 2 different Ludwig drum kits, and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a couple of questions i have..

First kit appears to be an early 90's kit, in a 20-14-12-10 configuration.. I see the vent holes, but no badge, which leads me to believe that this kit may have been tampered with and is not in it's original condition..Hardware looks about right, and the finish looks to be one called "Charcoal Shadow" which is consistent with 90's era finishes..
My question about this kit is the following..
Did Ludwig drums have their vent holes opposite sides of the badges during this time ?
The reason i ask is because the seller didn't post any pics of any drum with it's badge, which also leads me to believe he's trying to hide the fact that there aren't any badges, hence the low price for what looks t be a quality drum kit from Ludwig's moving period from Damen Ave. to NC.. Here is the link to the kit in question..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1101380363

Second kit is a 60's BDP that looks like it has been through the rough and has some water damage to the bass drum according to the seller, (this is not the same seller as the previous kit mentioned), but looks repairable. I would also enjoy doing that bit of restoration myself, and bringing the kit back from it's "coma" .. . The question for this kit is the obvious, which is the price.. Is it a fair price for a kit in this condition ? I'm thinking it's decent.. However, if i did think about making him an offer, it would be for the shell pack, without the snare, or just the snare drum, if it happened to be a Super 400 COB, of which i'm not sure of.. Maybe some of you Luddy fanatics can hone in on those details..?
As is my usual sign off, any thoughts are appreciated..

cheers,
Rob

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-batterie-perc...ationFlag=true

Last edited by human71; 09-15-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: A couple of questions about 2 ludwig kits

The 90's kit from the pics does not look exactly like Charcoal,and if it was why would you change the location of the vent hole even if it was a refinish of some sort? If you saw the kit close up I bet you could suss it out pretty quick.Might be a keller shell with luddy hardware.Even if it was a weird modification if they are luddy shells I would pay 400.00 500.00 U.S. for it

On the 60's kit,the BD mounting plate looks off center,could factory maybe not,can't see any rail mount holes from the pics.

The 60's kit,considering the missing parts and the fact that it is at best player grade because of the water damage,it still is a damaged kit,not a player kit that might have extra holes or mods,at best without the snare
I would pay 400.00 U.S max,because of the water issue and the fact it would probably cost at least 100.00 to get a hoop and claws rods etc.

I am quoting U.S prices because that is what I would pay here in the U.S. in my local market.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: A couple of questions about 2 ludwig kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamesuser View Post
The 90's kit from the pics does not look exactly like Charcoal,and if it was why would you change the location of the vent hole even if it was a refinish of some sort? If you saw the kit close up I bet you could suss it out pretty quick.Might be a keller shell with luddy hardware.Even if it was a weird modification if they are luddy shells I would pay 400.00 500.00 U.S. for it

On the 60's kit,the BD mounting plate looks off center,could factory maybe not,can't see any rail mount holes from the pics.

The 60's kit,considering the missing parts and the fact that it is at best player grade because of the water damage,it still is a damaged kit,not a player kit that might have extra holes or mods,at best without the snare
I would pay 400.00 U.S max,because of the water issue and the fact it would probably cost at least 100.00 to get a hoop and claws rods etc.

I am quoting U.S prices because that is what I would pay here in the U.S. in my local market.
Good observation with the 90's kit.. My guess is that it has been tampered with, but even with Ludwig hardware, i wouldn't want a Ludwig kit with Keller shells, even if they are great quality.. I guess i'm a purist at heart.. As for the 60's kit, $400-500 sounds about right..
I'm sure he's been getting offers within that price range more or less, and hasn't accepted any of them simply because he probably thinks that because it is a 60's Ludwig, it's still worth plenty, regardless of the condition..I think he's wrong about that. I think that your guesstimate is pretty fair, and i'm going to pass on it for the time being.. But if i see the price beginning to decline, then i'll make an offer.. Buying the materials to repair the damage to the bass drum alone would probably cost me close to $100.. As for the claws and T-rods, i have all the missing extras from another kit (70's era), however, i don't have the hoop, but i'd be ok with a Gibraltar for the moment.. Thanks for your insight !

cheers,
Rob

Last edited by human71; 09-15-2015 at 02:03 PM.