Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Kent drums year made

I have a set of Kent drums that I'm bringing back to life. They appear to be from the 60s. Ive looked for any date stamps from inside the shells but can't find anything. Is there any way to tell what year they were made? Also, what are they worth these days restored?
Old 04-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Kent drums year made

Here's a pretty good write up on the history of Kent Drums. It might give you an idea of when your drums were made.
http://www.coopersvintagedrums.com/kentmuseum1000.htm

Kents were actually pretty decent little drums for the money. But they were marketed as a cheaper alternative to the bigger name brands, so they don't really hold up very well monetarily today. That said, there are several aspects that will affect your kit's value, such as the configuration, if the kit is complete and/or all original, if the shells were made in America or Japan, the rarity of the finish, or any unique or rare features.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapdrummer View Post
I have a set of Kent drums that I'm bringing back to life. They appear to be from the 60s. Ive looked for any date stamps from inside the shells but can't find anything. Is there any way to tell what year they were made? Also, what are they worth these days restored?
Hi Trapddrummer...and to the forum!

Are you talking about US made Kent drums for MIJ? We're also going to need pictures to make any kind of evaluation. If these are US Kent, we have a VDF member who knows just about everything about these drums!

-Mark
Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

A pic of them will help determine when they were made . 1966 is the earliest date I have ever seen stamped prior to that they were not date stamped .
Warning ... Avoid member statuscymbal here, vintage_collector on DFO , and americanpatriot10 on eBay. Email me for his name. All are the same shady guy who has burned me and a list of other members on both boards . He is also selling on Facebook too ..
Old 04-02-2018, 02:51 PM

Thank you for the article! Great read! My kit has the blue and gold badge. I would definitely say 60s. Im also guessing these were made in the United States. I read that it wasn't until 1972 when that started importing from Japan. No sure how accurate that is.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:00 PM

I have attempted to upload a jpg of the kit via attachment .. The uploads are failing. Not sure what the issue is.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:28 PM

The set isn't complete. I have to finish the Tom and recondition the Bass Drum hoops and set the inlays. Have the original hi hat and tom holder as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kent Drum set.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	117768  
Old 04-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Nice and yes they would be 1960s . If you are on Facebook I have a Vintage Kent Drums Appreciation page .
Warning ... Avoid member statuscymbal here, vintage_collector on DFO , and americanpatriot10 on eBay. Email me for his name. All are the same shady guy who has burned me and a list of other members on both boards . He is also selling on Facebook too ..
Old 04-02-2018, 04:38 PM

Ok , Ill look it up.Thanx