Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 06-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Ludwig Supraphonic Cut Badge???

My apologies If I've posted this in the wrong section but I found this Ludwig Supraphonic on ebay.

It's missing parts and the shell has been painted black but the badge has been cut to fit. Is it possible this is an original cut badge supra or just a keystone supra re-badged. The badge doesn't look original. It's round corner and it look like it's from the 80's so that should be a clue right there that's it probably not an original cut badge snare. But what does everyone else think. It would be a great resto project.

Check it out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Supr...YAAOSwnyFc~6GI

Last edited by Drumguy1988; 06-11-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig Supraphonic Cut Badge???

My educated guess says that it's not original. The badge looks like it was installed after the shell was painted. Plus, the grommet doesn't look original as well. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will offer their views.

-Mark
Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
My educated guess says that it's not original. The badge looks like it was installed after the shell was painted. Plus, the grommet doesn't look original as well. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will offer their views.

-Mark
Hey Mark. Yeah I thought the same thing too. Just wanted to get a second opinion. Still for the right price It would make a great project. I'd grab it but I can't afford it.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:37 PM

Definitely not an original badge. If you look closely you will see a thin black line at the bottom that served to outline the serial number in the 1980's. I've never heard of a cut badge from that era and this one was poorly cut as well, as it doesn't really fit.
Also, it looks like a brass grommet, not the chrome or nickel grommets that
were used in the 1980's
Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg View Post
Definitely not an original badge. If you look closely you will see a thin black line at the bottom that served to outline the serial number in the 1980's. I've never heard of a cut badge from that era
Nice observation kdg. Rick Gier identifies that badge as a BO4 (~'82-'84) in his Ludwig Dating Guide. He also mentions some trimmed B/O badges being used on factory seconds in "later eras" but doesn't mention which badge type or what exact era. Could this be one of those factory seconds?

Last edited by slingerfan; 06-12-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2019, 05:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg View Post
Definitely not an original badge. If you look closely you will see a thin black line at the bottom that served to outline the serial number in the 1980's. I've never heard of a cut badge from that era and this one was poorly cut as well, as it doesn't really fit.
Also, it looks like a brass grommet, not the chrome or nickel grommets that
were used in the 1980's
I've never seen one from that era either. Then there's so much about Ludwig I don't know. But I still wonder If it's possible this is an original cut badge snare and when they painted the shell they damaged the original badge and replaced it with the current one. It's probably a long shot I know. AH WELL!!. Some one will win it and I hope they restore it to its former glory.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerfan View Post
Nice observation kdg. Rick Gier identifies that badge as a BO4 (~'82-'84) in his Ludwig Dating Guide. He also mentions some trimmed B/O badges being used on factory seconds in "later eras" but doesn't mention which badge type or what exact era. Could this be one of those factory seconds?
I have Ricks book to. Great read. Very informative and very well done.