Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 05-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl ? CHROME vs. NICKEL

Opinions on CHROME vs. NICKEL hardware on OBP (RINGO) 1960's snare/DB kit : how big a difference between the two if drums are equal in condition (say FINE / VERY FINE)?

Asking as I'm curious whether going to the trouble of replacing chrome for nickel. (AND asking whether collectors of OBP kits would have a problem with the nickel).

I don't think it's a major issue. Hardware CONDITION is far more important.

Thanks for input! Chris
Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl ? CHROME vs. NICKEL

Hey Chris
IMHO from my collection, the Nickel doesn't shine up as easily and nicely as the chrome. I think it will take some hunting to find the nickel parts without spending a fortune.
Good luck
Michael
Old 05-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMichaelV View Post
Hey Chris
IMHO from my collection, the Nickel doesn't shine up as easily and nicely as the chrome. I think it will take some hunting to find the nickel parts without spending a fortune.
Good luck
Michael
Hey Michael,

I have the OBP JF with nickel. Maybe I need to clarify : for collectors, will they insist on a JF/DB OBP be in chrome rather than nickel? Or will they not care all that much?

Chris
Old 05-12-2018, 01:21 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Well Ringo's drums had chrome hardware and Ringo is 100% the reason why Oyster Black isn't "just another wrap". I would expect any self respecting potential buyer would use this factoid to try to get the price down a bit. I'm not sure it's truly that big of a deal as it's easy enough to switch out the hardware with some in the desired plating (chrome is actually a thin protective plating added over the shiny Nickel plating that keeps it from tarnishing). Really no way anyone could tell the difference afterwards if the parts were from the correct era.

I'd expect that a potential buyer will not pass on such a drum simply because it has nickel hardware. Particularly if were a pre-serial 63 with the badge on the panel next to the throw off (is it?). They might try to get the price down a bit because of the nickel hardware...If it were me I'd be swapping it all out for chrome at my earliest convenience after buying such a drum. But I already have one with Chrome so I needn't bother.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post
Well Ringo's drums had chrome hardware and Ringo is 100% the reason why Oyster Black isn't "just another wrap". I would expect any self respecting potential buyer would use this factoid to try to get the price down a bit. I'm not sure it's truly that big of a deal as it's easy enough to switch out the hardware with some in the desired plating (chrome is actually a thin protective plating added over the shiny Nickel plating that keeps it from tarnishing). Really no way anyone could tell the difference afterwards if the parts were from the correct era.

I'd expect that a potential buyer will not pass on such a drum simply because it has nickel hardware. Particularly if were a pre-serial 63 with the badge on the panel next to the throw off (is it?). They might try to get the price down a bit because of the nickel hardware...If it were me I'd be swapping it all out for chrome at my earliest convenience after buying such a drum. But I already have one with Chrome so I needn't bother.
Thank you for your 2c K.O..

Perfect answer. I personally prefer nickel over chrome as the tone is warmer. But for that collector on for OBP ...

Depending on how well the shell(s) clean up (so-so vs collector) I will ponder then whether to swap out nickel for chrome. Doing that for the JF is no problem but the whole kit is another matter. Only have the JF now. The shell might very well turn out miraculously after the Novus treatment; but am not positive since the wrap has some $&!^ on it I have no clue whether it'll come off or not.

& no the throw is not next to the badge. Only 1 other I know @ other than Ringos.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post

& no the throw is not next to the badge. Only 1 other I know @ other than Ringos.
There's 3 or 4 of those known to be lurking about out there, probably a few more exist...somewhere. One of the holiest of Holy Grail type drums.

I mean new replicas of it are currently being sold for $30,000...
Old 05-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Chrome wins every time.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i