Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 02-07-2018, 11:45 PM

Default Ludwig Blue Oyster Hole in bass drum

I have recently bought a Ludwig blue oyster 1960s kit. I have always wanted one and finally found one with minimal fade quite near to where I live in the UK. It is s beautiful vibrant blue, rather than the green tinge of many. However someone many years ago fitted a pearl to mount to the bass drum. To address this a plate has been put on the drum and an original rail mount fitted. What I would really like to do is take a photo graphic image of the wrap, where the hole is, photo shop over the holes and attach a piece of photographic wrap with the image on over the hole. This would make the hole far less visible. Has anyone tried this? Advice appreacited.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:45 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig Blue Oyster Hole in bass drum

Innovative approach Robziljian. I've not heard of that one, but it might be satisfactory. Was the mount removed? Could you get another mount of the same type to put back on and cover the holes, then use it to support the upper part of a cymbal stand for a splash cymbal?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Check with a sign maker shop in your area for advice. I have had luck with some that are able to handle this.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Don't forget about or own member "Compact Drums" and his company "Walopus" wrap. He is usually able to match wrap if you send him a small sample.