Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 12-31-2013, 02:59 PM

Default Camco Drums

I was scanning the local ads a couple of days ago and found some really poor pictures of a kit needing some time and attention. It is an old Camco project kit and I will be looking to source a few needed parts. These are the straight ply shells without re-rings. The sizes are 24x14, 13, 14, 18.

They have a fair amount of dings, scratches, etc. and are not a collectors piece by any means, which is a real shame since the finish would have been really nice at one point. The toms have lived with out bottom heads and have some dings on the edges.

The bass has an after market Pearl type mount, but smaller than the normal size holes. I need to find a bass mount and 2 mounts for the rack toms, a floor tom leg mount and 3 legs. I will probably go with some Gibraltar legs assuming they will fit. I also need about 9 tom lugs, 2 bass drum spurs, one bass drum claw and a bunch of tension rods for the toms. I assume standard tension rods will work and will probably just buy new ones. I also need reso hoops for the 3 toms. I have an old Ludwig 18" hoop and use that.

I gave the drums a quick wipe down, but really need to tear it apart and soak the chrome, etc.

Any idea of the market value of these drums given the holes and condition once it has all of the missing hardware, etc. back in place? I will probably end up selling it once I bring it back to life.

The seams are straight and are not the diagonal. Would these be the Jasper shells?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camco drums 001 - resized 2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	65495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camco drums 002 --resized.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	65498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camco drums 003 - resized.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	65500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camco drums 005 - resized.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	65502  

Last edited by ConvertedLudwigPLayer; 12-31-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Camco Drums

Camco quit using Jasper shells when they moved to LA. You kit would have been made near the end of the companies life.

1960's Camco Oaklawn
-13" 16" 20"
Sonor S Class
-12" 13" 16" 22"

Pork Pie Little Squealer Vented 13x7
Yamaha Kabuto Steel 14x5.5
Yamaha Aton Fig Signature 14x6.5
Ludwig 1964 Supraphonic 400 14x5
Ludwig 1968 Acrolite 14x5
SonorS Class 14x5
Old 12-31-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Camco quit using Jasper shells when they moved to LA. You kit would have been made near the end of the companies life.
Zeta,

Thanks for the info. Any idea when they would have been made? Do the Serial #'s on the paper stickers inside have any meaning?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Those are Hoshino era Badges. So Tama actually made those. I can't remember off of the top of my head what the shells are from then.

1960's Camco Oaklawn
-13" 16" 20"
Sonor S Class
-12" 13" 16" 22"

Pork Pie Little Squealer Vented 13x7
Yamaha Kabuto Steel 14x5.5
Yamaha Aton Fig Signature 14x6.5
Ludwig 1964 Supraphonic 400 14x5
Ludwig 1968 Acrolite 14x5
SonorS Class 14x5
Old 12-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

from Wikipedia: In 1977, Drum Workshop (DW) and Hoshino Gakki (the parent company of Tama Drums) jointly purchased Camco's assets. DW would receive Camco's inventory and manufacturing equipment, while Tama would receive the Camco name, the original design blueprints, and engineering rights.

Tama briefly used the Camco name in the late 1970s for so-called Tama/Camco drum kits which varied between US-made Camco shells and sometimes Japanese-made shells with a rounded lug similar, though not the same, as the Camco lugs . They also produced, more famously, a "Camco by Tama" bass drum pedal which utilised Frank Ippolito's modified-Camco[1] chain-drive pedal drive and this design has since become an industry standard for most bass drum pedals. Tama re-issued the now classic pedal in 2011.
hope this helps.
your drums are nice drums but are not the sought after Camco drums so therefor they will probly only bring a few hundred dollars. there will be a few other guys that will comment and probly better info on price.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the extra info Zeta And Robyn. I was hoping the bigger sizes would be appealing and increase the value a bit.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Having a kit like similar to this I can tell you that to find some lugs is going to be tough. It took a long time just to find one that I needed for my kit and that was thanks to Stallwart here on VDF. You can use Tama Superstar lugs as they are the same hole spacing but cannot use either real Camco or the DW lugs since the hole spacing is different. The Superstar ones can at least let you put some bottom heads on and use them until if/when you can find some originals. These are great sounding drums and I really like the kit I have. It is the sunburst one shown in the Drum Photo gallery. I have quite a bit of history compiled on these drums and also have an original catalog and price list.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM

Nopork,

I have seen pictures of your kit. There was a similar one for sale locally and later on ebay recently. Gorgeous finish, BTW.

Thanks for the scoop on the lugs. I figured I would have my work cut out for me based on the design. I already have 2 project kits to complete and really did not need another or another kit for that matter, but this one looked like it needed a little love.

I am pretty sure mine are all maple, but can't tell for sure. Do you know the shell composition of these kits?

Thanks.