Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 03-13-2017, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Looking for cymbal options to replicate 60s and 70s sound!

I know I will get alot of slack for this, lol....but the traditional series cymbals by Wuhan remind me of vintage zildjians. Here is a demo I did of my 16" Wuhan
Old 03-13-2017, 08:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrummer View Post
I know I will get alot of slack for this, lol....but the traditional series cymbals by Wuhan remind me of vintage zildjians. Here is a demo I did of my 16" Wuhan
A lot of slack? Sure, we'll cut you a lot of slack!

I agree. Those 2nd generation Wuhan brilliants are very nice. The only thing about them is that they are not terribly consistent. You may find a 16" that sounds like heaven and the next 16" will sound like a trash can lid.

Another Chinese brand that is a great value for the money is Kasza, which are also B20 bronze. I would check them out. Overall, a little richer sounding then Wuhan, and they seem to be more consistent too.
Not a lot of info on them out there, but from what I have heard, they are great (particularly their thinner F series).

Old 03-14-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
A lot of slack? Sure, we'll cut you a lot of slack!

I agree. Those 2nd generation Wuhan brilliants are very nice. The only thing about them is that they are not terribly consistent. You may find a 16" that sounds like heaven and the next 16" will sound like a trash can lid.

Another Chinese brand that is a great value for the money is Kasza, which are also B20 bronze. I would check them out. Overall, a little richer sounding then Wuhan, and they seem to be more consistent too.
Not a lot of info on them out there, but from what I have heard, they are great (particularly their thinner F series).

http://www.bigbangdist.com/pricing/15kasza.pdf
Lol, I thought about that later..."slack" didn't make sense! I meant flak
You are right about the inconsistency of Wuhan sounds...but this has actually been a positive for me. I have three 16" crashes and they do all sound different but they all sound good...mainly just different pitches which works for me. I have a drum room with 5 acoustic kits and the majority of my cymbals are "traditional series" Wuhans (crashes, splash, rides and chinas). Their hi-hats are decent but I prefer my Zildjians.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 PM

Paiste Giant Beat is what you looking for, man!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrummer View Post
I know I will get alot of slack for this, lol....but the traditional series cymbals by Wuhan remind me of vintage zildjians. Here is a demo I did of my 16" Wuhan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUuIpSABPHk
Sound clips being what they are it's hard to make definitive comparisons, but I own well over a dozen A's, mostly '50's, and none sound anything like the cymbal in your clip. That is not to say it's a bad cymbal, just not old A like to my ears.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosLover View Post
Sound clips being what they are it's hard to make definitive comparisons, but I own well over a dozen A's, mostly '50's, and none sound anything like the cymbal in your clip. That is not to say it's a bad cymbal, just not old A like to my ears.
fair enough These are probably much brighter
Old 04-22-2017, 10:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I just posted in another thread- it's gotta have the edge wobble for me. I think it was Elvin Jones who called it "the dancing ferries" and now that I get it, I seek them out!
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Oak (6X13!); DW collectors 5-1/2X14 maple; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo