Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 09-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default The "Grampa Tom" memorial drum set

Here is the end result of many years of searching for a Star -built BD to go with the Stewart toms my son sent up from Florida. When my Grandfather Tom was doing his trio-dance band thing in the 60's, his B+B Rogers set got stolen from the club they were playing at. He had to replace it THAT DAY, so he bought a blue sparkle Star built Ralston set from the local music store. That set is also long gone, but I wanted to put together a set like it for my GB/ nursing home sing-along gigs. So here it is. It has a date stamp on the inside rering of 3/66 so it's close in age to the Ralstons. It is missing the consolette tube and arm, and one T-screw if anyone has those. This is the bass drum with the home made T-rods, which work very well. The toms have never been opened up till this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	112260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	112261  

Last edited by teverson-sr; 09-16-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Default Re: The "Grampa Tom" memorial drum set

Hey T-Sr
Great thing you are doing. A little recognition of your grandfather but even better that you are doing nursing home sing-alongs. Unfortunately we just settled my dad into an assisted living center, they do a sing-along 2x week but it is only with a piano. Maybe I'll reach out to see if there is a local group that may do something like you do once a month. You noted "GB" any chance it's Great Barrington Mass?
Michael
Old 09-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: The "Grampa Tom" memorial drum set

GB=general business. I'm located in eastern Massachusetts. That would be a sleepover gig! This Saturday's gig is the first one for me and my friend Al, at his mom's facility in Andover,MA. I have done some with a different band previous to this at other facilities. All brush work or "Rods".