Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-24-2017, 08:29 AM
OldSchool OldSchool is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,961
Default Kit i.d. Help

I'm hoping that some of you MIJ kit experts might be able to identify the make of this kit as well as the wrap. The prior owner removed the badges, although the "imprints" remain. I'm thinking that it might be a "Star" or "Zim-Gar" kit from the '60s, based on the shape of the badge imprints. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MIJKit 007.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	111757   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIJKit 002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	111758   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIJKit 004.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	111759  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Dan Boucher Dan Boucher is online now
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: Kit i.d. Help

Kenwood is heavy on the MIJ ID's. He's within ear shot of you and maybe will chime in. Snare looks very Rogers though, doesn't it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Kenwood Kenwood is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: southern new england
Posts: 705
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenwood
Default Re: Kit i.d. Help

Hello OldSchool and Dan
That kit is made by "non-Star Hoshino"
I am not sure if it has ever been I.D.ed with regard to the color
I call mine black and gold sparkle Tiger
as a Hoshino build it could have had any of a number of various badges or none at all
The snare drum in this case Is the absolute matching snare
for that particular lug style on the bass and toms
One of two styles used by Hoshino at the time


I have the very same bass and toms but my snare was found from a separate source
and though it is a spot on match wrap-wise mine is fitted with the other of the two lug styles
Unfortunately the hole spacing between the two styles is not the same Else I would have already made the switch
I would love to find a matching snare with the same lugs as on that snare there
And Yes indeed Dan I agree that those snare drum lugs do look very Rogers-like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010017.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	111770   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	111771  

Last edited by Kenwood; 08-24-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2017, 09:28 AM
OldSchool OldSchool is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,961
Default Re: Kit i.d. Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
Kenwood is heavy on the MIJ ID's. He's within ear shot of you and maybe will chime in. Snare looks very Rogers though, doesn't it.
Thanks for your time and input, Dan. Yes, those lugs on the snare are a close copy to Rogers snare lugs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 AM
OldSchool OldSchool is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,961
Default Re: Kit i.d. Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwood View Post
Hello OldSchool and Dan
That kit is made by "non-Star Hoshino"
I am not sure if it has ever been I.D.ed with regard to the color
I call mine black and gold sparkle Tiger
as a Hoshino build it could have had any of a number of various badges or none at all
The snare drum in this case Is the absolute matching snare
for that particular lug style on the bass and toms
One of two styles used by Hoshino at the time


I have the very same bass and toms but my snare was found from a separate source
and though it is a spot on match wrap-wise mine is fitted with the other of the two lug styles
Unfortunately the hole spacing between the two styles is not the same Else I would have already made the switch
I would love to find a matching snare with the same lugs as on that snare there
And Yes indeed Dan I agree that those snare drum lugs do look very Rogers-like
Thanks so much for your time, the information provided and the pics of your kit. It's greatly appreciated. So, it's safe to say that this is definitely a 60s kit? Would you happen to know if all the Hoshino kits came with wooden reinforcement rings on the shells? In regard to the badges, this kit definitely had some sort of round badges on the shells at some point. I recently picked this one up for almost nothing and have just begun the detailed "clean-up" process. I just love the looks of that wrap after its initial clean and polish. It pops!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Kenwood Kenwood is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: southern new england
Posts: 705
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenwood
Default Re: Kit i.d. Help

Hello again OldSchool
I can not speak to the entire timeline on the re-rings
But generally speaking the upper end of the line had them
I have some little six lug Hoshino kits that are about a half a rung up from being just a toy
thicker shells, no re-rings, in fact no bearing edges to speak of either
Those are sweet drums congats on the find and best of luck with them
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2017, 09:01 PM
OldSchool OldSchool is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,961
Default Re: Kit i.d. Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwood View Post
Hello again OldSchool
I can not speak to the entire timeline on the re-rings
But generally speaking the upper end of the line had them
I have some little six lug Hoshino kits that are about a half a rung up from being just a toy
thicker shells, no re-rings, in fact no bearing edges to speak of either
Those are sweet drums congats on the find and best of luck with them
Thanks again for your input! The kit I picked up came with two 13" rack toms. Would you happen to know if that configuration was the norm for Hoshino kits from that period or was that possibly an "option" when ordering? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Kenwood Kenwood is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: southern new england
Posts: 705
Send a message via Yahoo to Kenwood
Default Re: Kit i.d. Help

I would not say it was the norm to have a kit with a 22" bass and two 13" toms
I have run into two 12" drums on a 20" bass before
But no, most 5 pc Hoshino builds were !2" 13" on the mounted drums
as an option when ordering I suppose anything is possible
what sort of mounting system? If it is a rail mount then the two 13's might be a pain to position them to play comfortably

For anything more than display, my kit works much better with only one tom on the rail mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwood View Post

Unfortunately the hole spacing between the two styles is not the same Else I would have already made the switch
Note: the hole spacing between the two lug styles that Hoshino used most often
is the very same on the bass drum and tom lugs but not on the snare drum lugs
I thought that was pretty odd

Last edited by Kenwood; 08-31-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2017, 06:30 PM
Drummerjohn333 Drummerjohn333 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,371
Default Re: Kit i.d. Help

Kenwood nailed it, as usual.....high respects.

Hoshino - pros and cons. Build quality can be higher. Design can be attractive. Parts are much harder to find. A bit on the rare side - which for some may be a good reason to keep something.
Lug inserts. Hard to find and expensive, unless the seller has decided not to keep Hoshinos.
__________________
I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2017, 06:43 PM
teverson-sr teverson-sr is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,069
Default Re: Kit i.d. Help

Those drums look very much like "Crown" drums of the same 70's time period.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign