Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Post High quality, but cheap cymbals?
I have a 'noob' set of cymbals. They are ZBT Zildjian. I can't stand the sound of them. I want to get way better sounding cymbals. I have looked at Sabian cymbals and was drawn to the AA, HH, and the XS20. These are Sabians vintage cymbals. I love the sound of these cymbals but they are priced from 200-350 bucks. I can't afford that.

I am not that interested in buying used cymbals because they could be cracked or close to it.

What are some cymbals that sound close to Sabians AA, HH, or XS20 cymbals or have a very nice quality sound but aren't so expensive (not expensive as in not 200-350 bucks). They don't have to be Sabian.

Or even, what are some high quality cymbals that are affordable, that don't have a vintage sound.

Thanks a lot guys.
Zildjian/Paiste - Remo - Pro Mark/Vic Firth

Last edited by warwormx; 08-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: High quality, but cheap cymbals?
I would recommend Dream Bliss.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
I don't know much about these. Could you tell me anything about them? Are they a "no name" cymbal?
Zildjian/Paiste - Remo - Pro Mark/Vic Firth

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to jonnistix
What about Mid-East? They are not very easy to find, but the hammering on them looks top notch. What say you, Bill? I am about to pull the trigger on a 20 for less than hunski...new.
Or possibly the Wuhans.
http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/ind...x&cPath=13_300
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603

Last edited by jonnistix; 08-02-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnistix View Post
What about Mid-East? They are not very easy to find, but the hammering on them looks top notch. What say you, Bill? I am about to pull the trigger on a 20 for less than hunski...new.
Or possibly the Wuhans.
http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/ind...x&cPath=13_300
I can't speak to that. Never heard one.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
I own the 22" Dream Bliss ride. I love that cymbal. Has a kinda of jazzy feel to it. They have other types of cymbals as well. They are reasonally priced as far as cymbals go. I also owned a 16" inch Meinl crash that sounded really good.
$135 for the Dream(sale price)
$80 for the Meinl(sale price)

I try not to pay full price wheneve possible. I wait for sales, I do my home work and find out about the items I want and try to get the best price I can. Buying used is also good, but you have to know what you're looking for.

I also owned some 13" ZBT hats that sounded really good, but the 18" ZBT crash/ride I did not like at all.

Last edited by FatherTime; 08-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Used is best. However buying without trying is risky. Dream cymbals, same story. Even more important to hear them first. Craigslist. Then buy with your ears.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:05 AM

I'm with SkyDog when it comes to buying used. It's not too hard to look at feedback on Ebay & ask a few questions. Also, if it looks fairly new, it probably is gonna be okay. I'd ask the seller if he/she has any history on it or knows how it has been treated. Feedback says a lot.

You can get real bargains if you are patient. Only thing about buying online is that you seldom can hear them. Each cymbal is different and you can buy some real stinkers, but you can sell them if you don't like the sound.
I have a Paiste 502 ride (a fairly cheap cymbal) that I got on Ebay for $15 + shipping. People have looked at my kit & said: "Huh, looks like you bought the best, then ran out of money when you bought the ride"
Truth is, it sounds perfect for what I play. I'm not going to buy a K just so I can look like I have the best.
It is absolutely my favorite ride I've ever had. I've been looking for a hi-end Zildjian as a spare for it, but haven't found one that sounds close enough to it to put out the big bucks for. Meaning that it isn't necessarily "better sounding" than a given hi-end Zildjian....it just has a tone/sustain etc. that suits me so well.

Good luck in you search.
Cheers, Dave
Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemod View Post
I'm not going to buy a K just so I can look like I have the best.
It is absolutely my favorite ride I've ever had. I've been looking for a hi-end Zildjian as a spare for it, but haven't found one that sounds close enough to it to put out the big bucks for. Meaning that it isn't necessarily "better sounding" than a given hi-end Zildjian....it just has a tone/sustain etc. that suits me so well.
It's really all about what makes you happy. My son and I have well over 20 ride cymbals and most of them are really great. However, the single best one, by far, is a newer new stamp Istanbul K from around 1970 or so. It cost $1500, which is a nice piece of change, but its so good that IMHO it was a bargain even at that price. The sticking, the sustain, the bell...perfect! Its become my son's favorite recording and giging cymbal.

If we could find a $65 or $15 cymbal that sounds as good, or gives us as much pleasure to play, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. However, I've been listening to cymbals for 50 years, and my son for about 12, and based on our individual experience and expectations for a great cymbal, lower end models or bargain cymbal brands do not meet our requirements.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwormx View Post
I have a 'noob' set of cymbals. They are ZBT Zildjian. I can't stand the sound of them. I want to get way better sounding cymbals. I have looked at Sabian cymbals and was drawn to the AA, HH, and the XS20. These are Sabians vintage cymbals. I love the sound of these cymbals but they are priced from 200-350 bucks. I can't afford that.

I am not that interested in buying used cymbals because they could be cracked or close to it.

What are some cymbals that sound close to Sabians AA, HH, or XS20 cymbals or have a very nice quality sound but aren't so expensive (not expensive as in not 200-350 bucks). They don't have to be Sabian.

Thanks a lot guys.
If you hate the ones you have, look em up on the usual avenues and see what they are going for, then get rid of them. This will pad your bankroll for your new score and maybe put you behind a better cymbal than you thought you could afford to begin with. Just a thought.

Another thought is this. I have noticed you have a tendecy to lean towards a cautious stance on most things drums. I say let 'er rip dude. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used cymbals if they sounded good and looked like they weren't played with claw hammers. Mastro says he buys used cracked cymbals because that means they sounded so good that somebody played the hell out of them. Not at all the worst logic I have ever heard. See where I am going with this? If you get burned bad on junk cymbals and they take your bankroll at least you will have a good story to tell the guy, just like you, asking a similair question in twenty years...LOL.

toodles

drumhack