Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Slingerland Radio King WMP project kit........
Well shorty after the light blue pearl kit was together I was left staring at a 13" Radio king tom. I've held onto this drum for some 20 years and it's been a orphan until now. It's found it's purpose. I had thought about re wrapping the drum to use with my 60's kit. But quickly dismissed that thought. It came with a old collection off oddball MIJ drums with a few good cymbals. It came wrapped in some of the finest wood grain shelf covering I've ever seen. My son used it with his old kit back when he played in a garage band in hight school. Anyway here's a shot of the project. I'll get into more with other pics shortly. It's going to be a fun project.
Attached Thumbnails

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.

Last edited by FFR428; 05-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Slingerland Radio King WMP project kit........
I'll start with the bass drum. It's a 12x22" 6 lugger wrapped in the original WMP. It's a beauty. Big mojo vibe from this one. It came with streamliner lugs and what looks to be original paint on the hoops. I got this one from forum member Vintagevince (Jon S). Drum came with a period consolette. I've had this drum for a month or so and have been working on it. Lugs were badly tarnished which cleaned up ok. It has maple interior ply, poplar inner (I think) and mahogany outer ply. You can see the cig burns which expose the mahogany layer underneath. A very unusual drum I'm told. The wrap was cleaned with mild soap and water and finished with a coat of restoration polish. Original calfskin heads. Batter side could use a new skin which I'll buy and tuck asap. Jon went above and beyond to ship me the drum. Came from NYC in one day in perfect shape. Many thanks! Here's a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

The consolette was a bit rusty. But cleaned up pretty well. Here's a before and after pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Next up is the WMP 16" floor tom. This came from forum member Nailfoxx (Kevin S). I need to thank Jon S for giving me the heads up this was for sale or I would have missed it. Also need to thank Kevin for the drum and great packing job coming from Cincy. Drum has 2 1/4 maple rerings and 3 ply with mahogany interior. The wrap is in beautiful shape and matches the bass drum nicely. It came with 16 of the early super lugs. Those are half way cleaned as we speak. They have a chalky white coating of tarnish or?? on them but not bad to clean up and look pretty good. This shell needs a little edge repair and reso side a tic out of round. All easy fixes. Here's a few pics.....
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by FFR428; 05-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

And last for now the 13" problem child that started it all. This drum has a few ways it can go. I might.......
1. wrap in WMP if I can source something that looks good.
2. finish it in a white translucent stain that'll show the grain with a gloss clear.
3. just finish it natural with a gloss clear and call it good.

Not sure which path i'll choose yet. It needs some holes filled and a diamond plate tom mount will cover the repair area on this one. It's a maple exterior drum with 2 1/4" rerings. It needs 6 lugs and a couple rims. My son removed the shelf paper and finished it with a quick gloss poly clear way back when. I think I still have the original batter hoop either here or at his house somewhere. I hope I can find it as it was original to the drum. Here's a few pics.....

This is a work in progress and will take some to to finish and source missing parts. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by FFR428; 05-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Looks like it's coming along well so far, Glenn!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Old 05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks Lynn! This one will take some time and $$$ to finish. Hopefully by the end of the year or early next year. I'm planning all calfskin heads and need to source a snare down the road. Having a lot of fun with this one so far. My boys and their friends really dig seeing this old stuff.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Here's 2 more of the bass I forgot. First shows the maple interior and second the wrap tucked into the seam. Someone named "vinny" signed the inside of the shell in pencil. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via AIM to thisbright14
Looks like you have the difficult pieces already (bass and floor). Wouldnt it be simpler and cheaper to just find a 13 inch WMP tom or shell on ebay that fits relatively close with the years of the other two drums and call it good? They make repro lugs that fit that drum as far as I understand...you could just use those if you don't have the original parts. Otherwise those lugs arent very hard to find either.

-Adam
Old 05-07-2012, 06:04 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi Adam yes that did cross my mind to just find another tom shell. I might do that as well. I'll see what comes up for sale. Yes the repo lugs are available and in only chrome finish. That was part of the plan if I can't find good used originals. Thanks!

Glenn.