Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 10-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig Porto Throne Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton View Post
Nothing at all wrong about gathering all the vintage pieces together for a kit, especially the correct ones. The hunt is fun and fulfilling, at least to me. I have several to go with my kits. But I normally use a modern one as I'm a big guy.

Mike
+1

I hope I didn't come off like an a$$hole, Mike is 100% correct. I was just looking out for Salty's back! Those little round seats are back killers especially for big guys because you can't get enough of your butt on the seat.

I saw a really fat drummer playing on one of those tiny seat thrones and from behind because his butt was hanging over the seat on both sides it looked like he crapped out a drum throne and forgot to wipe.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm

Last edited by Purdie Shuffle; 10-26-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdie Shuffle View Post
+1

I hope I didn't come off like an a$$hole, Mike is 100% correct. I was just looking out for Salty's back! Those little round seats are back killers especially for big guys because you can't get enough of your butt on the seat.

I saw a really fat drummer playing on one of those tiny seat thrones and from behind because his butt was hanging over the seat on both sides it looked like he crapped out a drum throne and forgot to wipe.

John
In my book, you're never gonna come out as an a$$hole, John! You are such a knowledgeable and respected member on the forum that if anything, you are wealth of information and a reliable expert in all things vintage. You're a very bright guy, with divers interests. You give of yourself freely. Probably a great drummer as well.I'm just across the lake, amigo. I'd be there in a New York minute to help you out of a bind anytime! You are simply the best!!!!!
Brian
- writer, author : "Swan Song in Puerto Vallarta", "The Bouncer" (all online retailers such as Amazon.com, etc.)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdie Shuffle View Post
+1

John
No John. I didn't take it like that either. It's all good. I just didn't want Salty to get bummed about something that he appeared excited about.

Mike
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton View Post
No John. I didn't take it like that either. It's all good. I just didn't want Salty to get bummed about something that he appeared excited about.

Mike
That's because you have a big heart.

Sorry to interrupt, please go back to sprinkling Fairy Dust on Salty. The last thing I want is to make my Canadian buddy feel bad about anything.

Love you guys...

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Old 10-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

My apologies as well, my response was negative. I did not look at as collecting vintage gear, I was thinking more like functionality of the throne. Thanks Mike for bringing this to my attention. I guess thats why I did not throw mine into a dumpster, because it is vintage. Brian, lets see some pics of the completed project please.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Old 12-05-2017, 01:26 PM

I had the straight post round seat version of the porto throne and still have it--I used it extensively for years and it was very good (with one notable design flaw that was common at the time--the set screw bolt, which after a while of use at one height, was not really capable of being reset). A solid piece of equipment, light, sturdy and reliable. I never understood the angled seat, the physics of it never made sense, nor did the oval seat. I even used it as a desk chair in college.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Well I think if your 25 years old and weigh 145 , that won’t be a problem but if not you can always get it to complete a kit , and switch it out when you play lol !
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 12-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Pro's and con's. I think if I was playing out in a small space it'd come in handy. I agree the angled stand is awkward, and I still need replacement feet for mine. The seat portion being oval is kind of a quasi bike seat as long as you position the cushion lengthwise front to back. One thing for sure - it looks a heck of a lot more at home behind my 67 Downbeat than a newer blue olive or worse red/black Ludwig bike seat style throne would look! I'm sure I'd spend the money for something deluxe/ comfortable and newer once I retire and can spend more time behind my kit than in front of it!