Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 AM

Default Looking for info on studio kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2081.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	120939None of us are drum experts, so we are not sure if this is a kit still worth keeping(and keeping up in good shape) or if the space is better used for a newer kit.
Some of the hardware needs a bit of TLC, so the question came up, and we need to ask the experts! 18" and 20" bass drums and 3 toms. Metal snare drum of same brand.
I am sure it is easily identifiable, but the real question for us is: is it any good? Does drummers like it?
Grateful for any information.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Looking for info on studio kit.

Those are complete junk. I need wood for the fire so I'll take em off your hands, box em up and I'll even pay for the shipping.

Complete schiza...like all German engineered products; BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:29 AM

Haha! Yes, they do seem to be very solid, and they are quite beautiful despite being 40+ years old( if the badge refers to the correct year.)
The "interesting" thing in a "working studio" is, how does a random drummer react to that being the studio kit? Most bring their own, but sometimes, for various reasons, late flights or laziness being 2 of them, people want to use a studio kit. So the question is about "likeability", really.
Mostly for jazz.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

I’m sure the Sonor experts on the site will chime in and give you more details than I can, but I know enough to say with confidence that your kit is quite valuable and should sound fantastic. The fact that you have two bass drums makes it versatile too, jazz players love the 18 in. Depending on your overall studio budget, you may even be able to sell it, buy a perfectly usable studio backup kit and have a good chunk of money left over for other studio needs. Just do some searching for Sonor Phonic Centennial...I think you may be surprised just how valuable they are.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Allright! Thank you so much for that valuable information.
It absolutely looks like it is worth keeping, and also to keep in top shape.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curioussoundguy View Post
Haha! Yes, they do seem to be very solid, and they are quite beautiful despite being 40+ years old( if the badge refers to the correct year.)
The "interesting" thing in a "working studio" is, how does a random drummer react to that being the studio kit? Most bring their own, but sometimes, for various reasons, late flights or laziness being 2 of them, people want to use a studio kit. So the question is about "likeability", really.
Mostly for jazz.
Another reason for drummers using a house kit in the studio is that they may very well trust the engineer to know the gear and the room, so they will be confident that the engineer will get a great drum sound. While I normally bring several snares and my own cymbals, I do enjoy the sonic and creative production perspective of "playing from a different point of view," so to speak. Especially if the gear is sweet - like these gorgeous Sonors for instance!!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yup, those Sonor Phonics are seriously well made drums with both great tone & projection. A little heavy to be lugged around the world on gigs IMHO, so what better place for them to live than a studio? There's a set of these in a bar in Casablanca that have probably been there since Manu Dibango played there in his hay day.I gigged on them for a 10 week stint & was more than happy. Here's some nice playing on a well tuned Phonic Bop Kit:

& another Phonic .The tone of these speak for themselves!
PJL WMP maple snare

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!

Last edited by funkypoodle; 08-21-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:44 AM

I gave always liked the sound of them. They record great!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Very good drums. Keep them, I'm sure they track nicely.

Cheers.