Old 04-07-2020, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Zildjian's latest
If some of you guys are looking for hand-hammered cymbals forged in the USA, you don't have to wait for Zildjian. I'd love to make you one, or more, of my Limited Edition cymbals.

Here's an example...

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-07-2020, 10:00 PM
DrumBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
I had knowledge of your confrontation with him, because you told me about it privately during the Cymbalholic days. And that is precisely why I knew I could word that just as I did. Clearly there's no love lost between the two of you; that's for sure.

"A little nerd with an attitude"...now I really like that.

If I may be permitted to add just one thing to your characterization of him, I would modify it only slightly. It would be this:

"A GREASY HEADED little nerd with an attitude". And that would "nerd" could readily be substituted with the word "geek" at any point as called for as far as I'm concerned.

But then he emerged as something of a folk hero to the Cymbalholic crowd after I was removed. That of course was after the mercenary Zildjian bots whom they'd hired finally succeeded in getting me "banned for life". Then afterward all those bots promptly and mysteriously disappeared from the site; seeing as how they'd finally completed the dirty work that they were hired by Zildjian to perform. Now do any of you really think that their sudden disappearance right after mine was all just strictly coincidental?

And I didn't think so either.

But seeing as how their mission for Zildjian was finally accomplished, there was clearly no need for any of them to remain, and seeing as how they were no longer on Zildjian's payroll, they all just disappeared in a New York second. Thanks again Zildjian!
You have a great memory. I don't recall that conversation, but I'm sure it happened. I will say that Craigie was very nice to me. Nice lady.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbettis View Post
If some of you guys are looking for hand-hammered cymbals forged in the USA, you don't have to wait for Zildjian. I'd love to make you one, or more, of my Limited Edition cymbals.

Here's an example...

Thanks,
Matt
It looks pretty but what's it sound like ?

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 04-07-2020, 11:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
He's got a youtube video channel where you check them out. But those examples are all pretty thin so I'm guessing they probably wouldn't be your cup of tea.

I'm aware that you like your cymbals with a little more meat on the bone.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Thanks! Since I make custom cymbals, they can sound dang near any way you want them to. Like Bill said, many of the ones I make are thin, as they tend to sell the best. However, I have guys that order more substantial cymbals, and I dig making them.

Here's a soundfile of a 22" Limited Edition that I like...
[ame]https://youtu.be/BfVVK5tRhR0[/ame]

Matt
Old 04-08-2020, 12:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

It seems this bell is slightly wider (and perhaps even just a hair flatter?) than others that I've seen you make. And I was specifically going to ask you whether you have a varied set of bell templates. It seems so. Personally that's the style I prefer because it emulates the old K. And the same goes for the broader impact hammering.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbettis View Post
Thanks! Since I make custom cymbals, they can sound dang near any way you want them to. Like Bill said, many of the ones I make are thin, as they tend to sell the best. However, I have guys that order more substantial cymbals, and I dig making them.

Here's a soundfile of a 22" Limited Edition that I like...
https://youtu.be/BfVVK5tRhR0

Matt
That sounds fantastic guy. It goes dead fast, it don't wash out on ya, great stick, and when you edge it it does not go on forever. You'll probably never have to grab it.

Just like the old K's from Turkey. Do you mind me asking the metals`composition ? They look more on the Copper side of Bronze. They don't have that Electrum look of the old K's. Or maybe that's simply the way you polish them.

Do you make Hats ?

Old 04-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
That sounds fantastic guy. It goes dead fast, it don't wash out on ya, great stick, and when you edge it it does not go on forever. You'll probably never have to grab it.

Just like the old K's from Turkey. Do you mind me asking the metals`composition ? They look more on the Copper side of Bronze. They don't have that Electrum look of the old K's. Or maybe that's simply the way you polish them.

Do you make Hats ?
I'll let him asnwer this, but one thing I can tell you is that he's using the Zildjian formulated proprietary B-20 that's supplied to him through Sabian.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
I'll let him asnwer this, but one thing I can tell you is that he's using the Zildjian formulated proprietary B-20 that's supplied to him through Sabian.
That actually explains a lot. The A that I have when polished is more bronze looking without a Copper huge/tint. When I polished the B8 I have from Germany, it has a very distinct Copper huge/tint. Finger prints take longer to come out on my A than the B8. Because the B8 has more Copper in it. I work with Copper, Stainless, Lead, and Aluminum a lot each year. Plumbing Copper, Sheet Copper and Flashing Copper all have different tints when polished or new. Flashing being the softest, with plumbing being the hardest. You literally can see the differences. I see a Copper tint on the surface of these cymbals we are talking about. Nowhere near as light as the A I have at any stage of oxidation.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
That actually explains a lot. The A that I have when polished is more bronze looking without a Copper huge/tint. When I polished the B8 I have from Germany, it has a very distinct Copper huge/tint. Finger prints take longer to come out on my A than the B8. Because the B8 has more Copper in it. I work with Copper, Stainless, Lead, and Aluminum a lot each year. Plumbing Copper, Sheet Copper and Flashing Copper all have different tints when polished or new. Flashing being the softest, with plumbing being the hardest. You literally can see the differences. I see a Copper tint on the surface of these cymbals we are talking about. Nowhere near as light as the A I have at any stage of oxidation.
Wow. Never figured that an old guy like you would ever be a "metal head".