Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > For Sale

Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default mid 80s Tama Swingstar (Seamless shell) 6.5x14 Snare

I have decided I do not need this, as I have a '76 Slinger COB to use if I want a deep dish metal snare.
This has the seamless shell that all the stell snare models had from Tama at the time - including the high-end models. As you can see from the pics - it is in extremely nice clean condition - as I restored it after I got it.

Opportunities for improvement:

-Replace the top hoop - as this (original) one is OOR
-New top head (but maybe not - issue may be the top hoop)
-possibly replace the bottom hoop (this one is original) - slightly OOR - may or may not be a problem?

Shell is slightly OOR on the bottom - may or may not be an issue?

Due to these concerns, I am selling it off for a price to move quick.

$52.25 + shipping from 49285 SOLD!!!!!!

PM me for a shipping quote.

See this thread -

http://www.vintagedr...ead.php?t=53661

and I suggest a good seal on the inside of the shell where I had to clean out. I discovered that the Pledge was not working, as it was starting to rust. So, I cleaned it out again with Turtle Wax RR/CP - and cleaned it with some Cleaner wax - then wiped out. It could probably use a good seal of some kind - not sure how much of the cleaner wax was left behind.

I honestly was never able to get the drum to sound as good as I expected. My guess is because of the above disclosed issues. Meanwhile - I was surprised when it recorded really well???? I have too many snare drums to mess with this one and will just let someone else enjoy it. I must also mention that perhaps I am not familiar with what this snare is supposed to sound like???

With a few replacement parts or tweaks - you may discover this to be a GREAT sounding drum. I know that it is a super solid reliable workhorse. You also may discover that the way it sounds as is to be very satisfying for you - depending on how you tune. I tend to tune for a crack - and this one does not presently have a sharp crack. I am also used to 5inch Pearl snares that crack and sing crazy loud. This deeper snare is not that same kind of sound - and I just can't get used to it. Like I said, I have too many other snares than to work at getting this to sound like I expect. I suppose I expect something very specific from my snares?

Note: Top head is now a used (but much life left) Remo Coated Ambassador.
Also: Here is a SOUNDFILE:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160227_144405.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	102457   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160227_144427.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	102458   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160227_144442.jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	102459   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160227_144511.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	102460  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151207_162148.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	102461  

2Timothy1:7

Last edited by Drummerjohn333; 10-14-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:35 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: mid 80s Tama Swingstar (Seamless shell) 6.5x14 Snare

----------------sold!!!!!------------------

2Timothy1:7