Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Default Radio King white paint interior?
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase a Radio King for a really great price. The current owner mentioned that the interior is painted white. I know some manufacturers had done this (my 1938 Leedy has a white painted interior), but I don't think I've heard of Slingy doing this. Can anyone shed some light on that?

The owner is a friend of mine. I saw pics of the instrument a couple of years ago. I believe it's a cloud badge, faded white marine pearl, original hardware. The paint will not be a deterrent to buying it, just curious about whether the interior paint is original or if I'm looking at a paint stripping project.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Radio King white paint interior?
To my knowledge, all RK interiors were natural maple, with a clear sealer, but never painted. Our other esteemed Slingerland experts will probably weigh in shortly!

-Mark
Old 11-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Adding to Marks statement; natural maple interior if solid shell, natural mahogany interior if 3-ply shell. Paint is not original (may be hiding something). I also don't believe the cloud badge era used a clear sealer, if they did it is very thin.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerfan View Post
Adding to Marks statement; natural maple interior if solid shell, natural mahogany interior if 3-ply shell. Paint is not original (may be hiding something). I also don't believe the cloud badge era used a clear sealer, if they did it is very thin.
I believe you are correct about no sealer. Many of the solid shell RK snares I've seen have looked so nice on the inside that I looks like a sealer.

-Mark
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks everyone.

Here are some pics from the seller. All hardware is original except for snares (although they are quite old as well). Depth is 5 3/4". I'm very excited about this purchase - I sold my first RK a while back in Nashville and have often regretted it. I've been wanting to add another usable wood snare to the herd and this was on the wish list!

Also inquiring about age (1930s?) and possible worth as well as tips on cleaning some of the rust - thanks again everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 11-08-2018, 02:52 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

'46-'48 by the badge. Strainer appears to be a collection of parts but is predominately post '50. Twisted throw lever is late 50's.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM

That's a beautiful drum you have, thejohnlec!

I'm sending you a pm on that 3 pt strainer on that drum. That extension lever is unoriginal and is from the 60s - (Or it's a replacement of some type) but to my knowledge it is from a much later 'era' of Radio Kings.

Happy drumming!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerfan View Post
'46-'48 by the badge. Strainer appears to be a collection of parts but is predominately post '50. Twisted throw lever is late 50's.
Nice catch, thanks. The extension is less aged than the rest of the mechanism. Do you see anything else in the strainer that would suggest that the strainer system was a throw together, or is that the only odd piece? The aging on it seems congruent with the extension bracket (as well as the snare butt assembly) and the rest of the hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbohan6 View Post
That's a beautiful drum you have, thejohnlec!

I'm sending you a pm on that 3 pt strainer on that drum. That extension lever is unoriginal and is from the 60s - (Or it's a replacement of some type) but to my knowledge it is from a much later 'era' of Radio Kings.
Thanks sir! The extension should be longer and flat for that era strainer, correct?

Interested in what this could be worth as well, given all this. I'm paying $200US for it, picking it up this weekend. The shell is in great shape and the wrap is not peeling anywhere. I doubt the snares are original - won't be using them anyway, as they appear to be quite old as well.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

[QUOTE=thejohnlec;440251]Nice catch, thanks. The extension is less aged than the rest of the mechanism. Do you see anything else in the strainer that would suggest that the strainer system was a throw together, or is that the only odd piece?

The main slider plate has the "diamond" cutout. This is 1950 and up per Dr. Wenk. The throw lever and attachment nut appears to be '58-'60. The fine tension adjustment knob may be correct for '46-'48. 3-point parts are highly interchangeable between eras.

Last edited by slingerfan; 11-08-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

[QUOTE=thejohnlec;440251]
Thanks sir! The extension should be longer and flat for that era strainer, correct?

Correct. Here is a link to the '46-'49 strainer.
http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcj..._3point-7.html