Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 01-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Reassembling my 1966 COB 7-line Dyna

Hi all! Many of you may remember my custom "Dynatone" snare drum. The shell was built, wrapped and drilled by Joe Montineri. All the parts, except for the badge, were transferred from my COB 7-line Dynasonic. My Dynatone just sits on a shelf in my drum room and the 7-line shell is relegated to a cardboard box for safekeeping.

With all the hardware now being offered by the "new" Rogers, I've decided to move all the original parts back to my 7-line drum and install these new parts on my Dynatone.

I just ordered all the necessary parts from three different sellers on eBay, so I could get the best deal...all with FREE shipping! I didn't require the new strainer, as I already have a spare Dynasonic strainer in EXC condition.

The new parts include: 10 Beavertail snare drum lugs, snare rail w/wires, tone control, butt and a complete top/bottom hoop set. Once I get all the parts, I'll provide a review of them and show the completed Dynatone drum.

Should be a fun project! Stay tuned!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynatone-1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	123393   Click image for larger version

Name:	COB 7-line.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	123394  
Old 01-14-2019, 01:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Reassembling my 1966 COB 7-line Dyna

Thats cool Mark! I was not aware that you can purchase new Rogers parts. I am also building a jazz fest and decided to buy brand new lugs from Ludwig.
Looking forward to the pics!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Old 01-14-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Hi all! Many of you may remember my custom "Dynatone" snare drum. The shell was built, wrapped and drilled by Joe Montineri. All the parts, except for the badge, were transferred from my COB 7-line Dynasonic. My Dynatone just sits on a shelf in my drum room and the 7-line shell is relegated to a cardboard box for safekeeping.

With all the hardware now being offered by the "new" Rogers, I've decided to move all the original parts back to my 7-line drum and install these new parts on my Dynatone.

I just ordered all the necessary parts from three different sellers on eBay, so I could get the best deal...all with FREE shipping! I didn't require the new strainer, as I already have a spare Dynasonic strainer in EXC condition.

The new parts include: 10 Beavertail snare drum lugs, snare rail w/wires, tone control, butt and a complete top/bottom hoop set. Once I get all the parts, I'll provide a review of them and show the completed Dynatone drum.

Should be a fun project! Stay tuned!

-Mark
I replaced my bottom hoop on my COB dyna and noticed the chrome on the snare guard was not of the highest quality.
I've seen other new ones and they seem to be of the same poor quality.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
I replaced my bottom hoop on my COB dyna and noticed the chrome on the snare guard was not of the highest quality.
I've seen other new ones and they seem to be of the same poor quality.
Well, that's disturbing! Especially considering the price, which is $49.99. I do appreciate the heads up and I'll be posting a review of all the parts when they arrive.

-Mark
Old 01-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccabinets View Post
Thats cool Mark! I was not aware that you can purchase new Rogers parts. I am also building a jazz fest and decided to buy brand new lugs from Ludwig.
Looking forward to the pics!
Hi Jeff! Yes, there are quite a few "new" Rogers parts available. I did see that you were looking for parts for your Jazz Festival. I've built a few already and managed to get period correct lugs in vg+ condition. Gets pricey, though!

-Mark
Old 01-14-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Well, that's disturbing! Especially considering the price, which is $49.99. I do appreciate the heads up and I'll be posting a review of all the parts when they arrive.

-Mark
Here's a close up of a new one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	123427  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cool idea Mark. Looking forward to your report. The 7-line looks beautiful all back together. I have one that is not as nice, so a joy to see a top-flight one.

Mine is also linked to a blue sparkle Headliner, but again, I think it is not as nice as the photos I've seen of yours. Respectable though, and sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1967 Blue Sparkle Headliner.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	123428  
Old 01-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
Cool idea Mark. Looking forward to your report. The 7-line looks beautiful all back together. I have one that is not as nice, so a joy to see a top-flight one.

Mine is also linked to a blue sparkle Headliner, but again, I think it is not as nice as the photos I've seen of yours. Respectable though, and sounds great.
Dan! Thanks for the compliments! Your kit looks great with the 7-line Dynasonic! The picture I posted of my 7-line was before I transferred the parts to my Dynatone. Of course, it will look the same once I get it back together! I've also been hoarding a NOS Rogers coated Diplomat drum head. If I install it on either drum, it will be for show only. True, it's really a Remo, but having the "Rogers" stamp on it, with no Remo stamp, is pretty cool. I even have the original Fullerton-era box with part number!

-Mark
Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Here's a close up of a new one.
Thanks for the picture. All I can do now is wait for all the parts to show up and hope they are decent.

-Mark
Old 01-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

All my new repro parts have arrived! As time permits, I'll be taking pictures and giving reviews of what I have.

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hoops.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	123534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lugs.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	123535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rail-Muffler-Butt.jpg