Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 04-27-2018, 10:14 AM

Default Zildjian Swish rivet pattern

Hi all,

I recently bought a 1970s era 22" Zildjian Swish. It has seven rivet holes in it; six are spaced at equal intervals around the circumference (12:00, 2:00, 4:00, 6:00, 8:00, 10:00), with the seventh right between two of them (1:00). It's actually a very logical pattern that offers good flexibility depending on one's preferences; I was wondering, is this a Zildjian factory drill pattern or was a previous owner just clever?
Old 04-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Zildjian Swish rivet pattern

The "official" factory pattern is 6 or 8 evenly spaced rivets for most cymbal models. If the factory always follows the "official" line then it is unlikely to be factory. But never say never.

The other factor which you can consider in deciding what is factory is the rivets themselves (if they are still there). Zildjian use a fairly distinctive way of flaring their steel tube rivets in a star shape:

which also illustrates "never say never" because this cluster of 3 is the "official" pattern for the 19" Beautiful,Baby model.

As a side note, I have previously recorded a dual pattern (cluster plus evenly distributed) which I think is what you are describing

although it is different in detail.

Paiste 602/Sound Creation research click here
Which K Stamp? A DIY tool click here
Old K prices and weights click here
Avedis Zildjian gallery and timeline click here
Old A prices and weights click here