Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 05-13-2018, 08:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Gigging with Psychedelic Red Ludwigs

This past Friday and Saturday I had gigs both nights (a real rarity for me these days) and decided to use the 1971 Psychedelic Red set I bought from the original owner this past September.

They sounded and looked great and I got more questions about them from people at the events than any of my other sets.

The 14" floor tom is actually a 13x14 Ludwig tom that I rewrapped in wrap from Bum Wrap (Red Psychedelic, More Blue), I'd much prefer the real deal but finding, and affording, a real PR 14x14 of similar vintage is going to be a long term quest. This drum fills the bill, looks good and didn't cost a fortune to make. Likewise the snare I used on the second night was made in the same way from the shell of a vintage Standard snare that had damaged wrap on it. Pretty much impossible that I'd ever find a real matching snare and I definitely couldn't afford it if I did...or justify gigging with such a valuable drum.

I can remember a time when these were still available new and looking at the Pro Beat set in PR that was illustrated in the catalog. I never expected I'd own one someday but another drummer from my town a few years older than me did have the wherewithal to order such a set, which proved a lucky thing for me 46 years later, when after 20-some years of me pestering him about it, he finally sold them to me. Mostly he did so due to a divorce he was going though but also because he knew I'd take good care of them...and I will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_181443.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	118729   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_211138.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	118730   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_184547.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	118731  
Old 05-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Gigging with Psychedelic Red Ludwigs

Lookin good Kevin!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Old 05-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccabinets View Post
Lookin good Kevin!
Thanks Jeff,
My Friday night gig was down in your neck of the woods at the Lodge in Blackhawk State Park.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cool I know that area
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 05-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post
Thanks Jeff,
My Friday night gig was down in your neck of the woods at the Lodge in Blackhawk State Park.
That had to be a nice gig, that Lodge is awesome. My daughter was married in the park (Perfect sunny day)on the other side of the road last June, reception was in the Lodge. I made a bunch of center pieces for the tables by cutting off 1" thick slices of wood from a tree trunk. Sanded them down with the drum sander and sprayed lacquer on them. Sorry, more info than you want to hear but it was such a good memory for me and my family.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Old 05-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

I've always wanted to have a Psych Red set.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:38 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hey Kevin
Killer looking kit! I may have to copy you and make a snare with that awesome wrap. Tougher than hens teeth to find one and way too costly. I bet it sounds as great as it looks
Michael
Old 05-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMichaelV View Post
Hey Kevin
Killer looking kit! I may have to copy you and make a snare with that awesome wrap. Tougher than hens teeth to find one and way too costly. I bet it sounds as great as it looks
Michael
Sounds like a Jazz Fest (which essentially it is). I had earlier done the same thing to a different shell which was a Rocker 4 or 5 ply from the early 80's. That sounded fine but the regular BW Red Psychedelic wrap seemed too dark to my eye. So I planned to rewrap it in the other "more Blue" version when this 3 ply shell fell into my lap. It took some fixing to bring it up to snuff but in the end it turned out nice...well pretty nice...the cat jumped up and shifted everything just as I was starting to glue the wrap on and messed it all up. I managed to salvage it but it's crooked and has some other issues as a result...nothing anyone else would notice when the heads are on but I know it's there...so maybe third time will be a charm if I happen to get another piece of that wrap sometime.

here's my first attempt, which looked fine but has too much "black" in it (where the three colors mix together on the original wrap it creates a dark purple-ish color but there isn't that much of it). So I got another piece of wrap in the other version for the "botched" redo...

It's hard to see much difference in photos but in person it is more apparent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3662.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	118748