Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 04-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Ludwig Standards v.s. Rogers/Yamaha R-360s

I think that most would agree that both the Ludwig Standard kits of the late '60s - early '70s and the Rogers/Yamaha R-360 kits of the same era were produced to combat the sales of the MIJ kits being manufactured and sold during the same period.

I was just wondering which of these kits is considered by most to be the better quality kit and which one would bring a larger ROI, when it comes time to sell?

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig Standards v.s. Rogers/Yamaha R-360s

I think the Ludwig Standards would have a better ROI. Most everybody knows that those Standards were made with the same shells as the Classics and thus, they draw good $ especially if the wrap is in good condition/desirable color.

Then with the R-360s you are going to get some really good quality drums, but when it comes to selling them, you have alot of people confused with the later ones and also it seems everybody has an opinion about these "Rogers" drums.....Few are going to know the true value of them (much fewer than drummers who would know the value of the Ludwig Standards).

As far as them as candidates for keepers - I would go for the R-360 before the Luddy Standards (though someday I would like to have a Luddy Standard kit). The R-360/380s are much more historical while being great quality drums in every way (except maybe the tom mounting design). I have heard some people say that the Luddy sound actually is not that good. However, I have never heard anybody say that those R-360/380s don't sound great. Everyone who I have ever known/read who has played those early Yammy made drums have all raved about how great they sound and how well built they are.

2Timothy1:7
Old 04-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I don't know. Ludwig Standards were made in Chicago alongside, and using mostly the same parts, as Ludwig Classics of the same era. Really the only difference between the two lines was the lugs and the wrap. The mounting hardware was lighter as well although this wouldn't effect the sound either. As that knowledge has permeated the drum world they seem to be on the rise as far as value. Still usually significantly cheaper to buy than a vintage Classic set but a 12/14/20 set of Standards is the sonic equivalent of a Downbeat set and people are waking up to that.

The Rogers were nicely made but they are an imported MIJ drum set. They are a bit different than other "stencil" sets of the day in that they were made by Yamaha rather than Pearl or Star but they are still lower priced imports from an era when that wasn't/isn't necessarily a marketing "plus". The shells are actually nicely made but the hardware wasn't particularly good with the typical import rail and rather clunky floor tom leg mounts.

I don't see the Rogers ever becoming highly collectable while the interest in the Standards does seem to be on the rise. You never know though.

I am biased since I own two Standard kits that I love. I did have a late 60's Rogers R-360 at one time but traded them off (for a single Slingerland 8x12 tom) because to me they were too much of an "import" set to keep (I bought them, in fantastic condition, for $40, and that played a part in those feelings as well).

Your results may vary....

Last edited by K.O.; 04-21-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I actually think a Yamaha branded kit from the same era will be a better longer term investment than the Rogers branded kits, even though they are basically the same. There are comparatively few Yamaha kits around from this era and the Yamaha name these days is pretty good. I can see these very well made kits being in demand in the years to come.

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I've been kind of looking for a Chris Partridge blue sparkle Ludwig Standard kit w/snare for awhile. They rarely come up for sale. The luddies are definitely the better investment.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I kinda dig my standard kit but that is just me. Like mentioned before; 3 ply Chicago us shell and lots of mojo. I am partial though.

Gretsch Round Badge 12 14 20 w/snare Burgundy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdcpleTKlI

82nd ABN DIV OEF OIF Combat Infantry Veteran
Old 04-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

[QUOTE=airborneSFC;385011]I kinda dig my standard kit but that is just me. Like mentioned before; 3 ply Chicago us shell and lots of mojo. I am partial though.

[/QUO[/I]

I used to own the same kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RR 009a.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	98266  
Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayray View Post
I actually think a Yamaha branded kit from the same era will be a better longer term investment than the Rogers branded kits, even though they are basically the same. There are comparatively few Yamaha kits around from this era and the Yamaha name these days is pretty good. I can see these very well made kits being in demand in the years to come.
I agree. A Y-badge kit has much more desirability for me, especially in a groovy finish like Golden Dragon or Midnight Surf whereas "off-shore Rogers" isn't exactly a turn-on. As for Standards Vs R-360s...Dodge Vs Datsun. They are both cool, but for very different reasons....
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

[quote=OldSchool;385020]
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneSFC View Post
I kinda dig my standard kit but that is just me. Like mentioned before; 3 ply Chicago us shell and lots of mojo. I am partial though.

[/QUO[/I]

I used to own the same kit.
That's just gorgeous!! I think the wraps on those Standards are some of the most beautiful that Ludwig have ever used, well, apart from the early Peacock wraps. Keep showing it off!
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Old 04-23-2016, 04:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneSFC View Post

Oh man they are amazing!
60's Gretsch RB Champaigne Spark
70's Rogers Big R Black
90's Sonor Hilite (Red maple)
00's DW Collectors Broken Glass
00's DW Jazz Series Tangerine Glass
10's DW Collectors (Acrylic) Matt Black Wrap
10's PDP Concept Wood Hoop kit (Maple)
Proud ambassador of the British Drum Company