Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 05-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Default Mounting a Ride Cymbal to Bass Drum Without Permanently Modifying the Drum?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for ideas on how to mount a ride cymbal to a bass drum without actually permanently modifying the drum.

I like the clean/vintage look of the ride on the bass drum but do not want to drill any holes in it.

Thanks,
Wes
Old 05-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Mounting a Ride Cymbal to Bass Drum Without Permanently Modifying the Drum?

Depending on the drum/lug, I've used a Ludwig Atlas mount to accomplish this. The mount replaces the lug and has the ability to mount a cymbal arm.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Mounting a Ride Cymbal to Bass Drum Without Permanently Modifying the Drum?

I was watching this auction, but I'm not interested in it. It sounds like what you're looking for. Ends in less than 4 hours!

https://tinyurl.com/kef8woe
Not-so-vintage kits:
2007 Hart Dynamics Professional 6.4 e-kit / Roland TDW-20
2009 Pearl ForumFZ - red wine (22/16/13/12 - for sale)
Snares:
60s Gretsch 5x14 maple WMP / 68 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic / 93 Pearl 3x14 Free Floating brass piccolo / 60s Star (Lyra) 5x14 luan blue sparkle pearl / 09 Pearl ForumFZ 5x14 red wine (for sale)
Old 05-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton View Post
Depending on the drum/lug, I've used a Ludwig Atlas mount to accomplish this. The mount replaces the lug and has the ability to mount a cymbal arm.
This would be for 2 kits. One kit is a Rogers Big R and the other is a Tama/Camco.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnellett View Post
This would be for 2 kits. One kit is a Rogers Big R and the other is a Tama/Camco.
Are you playing 1 or 2 up top on the Rogers Big R? If you play one up you could use the other hole for the memriLock arm on your tom mount to mount a boom arm with a 1" diameter.
Dixon brass Piccolo snare
Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute snare

Paistes, Zildjians, Sabians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vater View Post
I was watching this auction, but I'm not interested in it. It sounds like what you're looking for. Ends in less than 4 hours!

https://tinyurl.com/kef8woe
Thanks. That is one idea I have been thinking about and will watch the auction to see where it gets to. I have been using the DW Claw Hook Clamp for my cowbell with good results which accomplishes the same thing without potentially marring the wood hoop. I would just need to figure out the right attachment to go on the DW L arm.

http://store.dwdrums.com/p/dwsm2141-...essories?pp=10
Old 05-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkypoodle View Post
Are you playing 1 or 2 up top on the Rogers Big R? If you play one up you could use the other hole for the memriLock arm on your tom mount to mount a boom arm with a 1" diameter.

I play one up and put the tom on a snare stand so I have removed the tom mount. I had looked at how to mount a ride cymbal and other things from the tom mount but couldn't come up with something clean but you inspired me to take another look. I may be able to just use a Big R boom stand from the 1" diameter and up in the hole where the tom mount was. This may also allow for mounting auxiliary hats.

I could pull off the tom mount for the Camco and use a smaller diameter boom.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnellett View Post
I play one up and put the tom on a snare stand so I have removed the tom mount. I had looked at how to mount a ride cymbal and other things from the tom mount but couldn't come up with something clean but you inspired me to take another look. I may be able to just use a Big R boom stand from the 1" diameter and up in the hole where the tom mount was. This may also allow for mounting auxiliary hats.

I could pull off the tom mount for the Camco and use a smaller diameter boom.

Thanks
No Problem! I've been fooling around using different set-ups on my Big R kit of late. MemriLock hardware is like Tinkertoys for drummers.
Dixon brass Piccolo snare
Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute snare

Paistes, Zildjians, Sabians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Here's the dw mount with a new Gretsch cymbal arm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2448.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	109649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2449.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	109650  
Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redonyx65 View Post
Here's the dw mount with a new Gretsch cymbal arm
Cool! I like the look.

Does the mount stay put or do you have to occasionally tighten it? Do you notice it effecting the tuning of the batter head? Asking because I need to tighten up a bit on mine with the cowbell to keep it from moving and it does effect the tuning of head tuning.