Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 05-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Default Vintage Ludwig with unaligned serial number

Hi Out there,

Wondering if anyone has come across serial numbers on a ludwig snare that looks like attached pics. I believe this is a 1964, but find the serial number strange.

Any thoughts out there.

Thx, happy to be with the forum!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1795.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	109570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	109571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	109572  
Old 05-13-2017, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Vintage Ludwig with unaligned serial number

I have never seen this on a Ludwig snare, but being a manufacturing engineer I have seen this quite a bit on punching operations that have a sequencing numbering process where the stroke of the punch press machine misaligns the sequenced numbers during the stamping process. Very similar to the old style mileage counters we had on our bicycles that attached to the front fork. Very bizarre to see on something like this though.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Wow, I've never seen one quite like that. The badges were mechanically stamped by the company that produced the badges for Ludwig but it's hard to believe that such a machine could get that out of whack.

There are repro keystone badges offered for sale. They have the "circle R" trademark but lack serial numbers. Could it be possible this is one of those that someone tried to add a serial number to? If so they really made a mess of things, to the point of, if it were me, I'd just toss it in the trash and try again.

Usually when I see something Ludwig that is really poorly done like that I assume it almost has to be "factory" because anyone else would care too much to have done such a poor job (by that I don't mean that Ludwig as a company was doing shoddy work on purpose but rather that individual workers just going through the motions to collect a paycheck have been known to not care about the quality of their work above and beyond the point of keeping their job, today's expected standards are much higher).

Hard to say what the story is here.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the reply!
I thought the same thing, how could production allow such sloppiness? Maybe machine malfunction , maybe, human error. If it is a repro, why go through the effort as the earlier ludwig snares didn't have the serial number. Based on the number, production would have been 64' ish. I also agree, , if the badge came out that way , why not just toss it and repunch? The mystery of it is both exciting and draining.

Hoping that someone has an answer , or at least a map to navigate.

Thank you so much for the replies so far K.O. & CTMichaelV!!!!!

Old 05-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I can't add any other information about the badge, but did notice the drum. It appears to be an 8-lug, correct? If so, this is also an odd one. I've not seen any chrome-plated Acrolite snare drums. Almost looks like it was a Supraphonic, but drilled for 8 lugs, and Classic lugs installed. Then again, this may just be an optical illusion! Please confirm the number of lugs and put my mind at ease!

And, BTW, to the forum!

-Mark
Old 05-13-2017, 08:19 PM

Hi idrumforfun

It is definitely an 8 lug. It's driving me crazy too.

Thanks for the input. Any and all input is welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited by Zen82378; 05-13-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I think Mike Layton has or has had an 8 lug Supraphonic (with Imperial lugs). They do exist, albeit in small numbers. Yours is sort of halfway between with the bowtie lugs.

The working theory is they may have been shells that were punched for Acrolite usage (same aluminum spun shells) and then mistakenly got chrome plated which destined them to become 8 lug "Supras" or chrome plated Acros. Perhaps Ludwig offered them at a discount or just crossed their fingers and hoped nobody noticed. Another theory would be some special order for a particular bid. Like the 6.5" NYCBoE Acrolites. But if you're penny pinching to that degree why spring extra for the chrome and not just buy an Acro.

Perhaps the oddball layout and the seemingly hand punched badge go hand in hand but we'll likely never know why.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:01 AM

I was going to give this to my son to slam around, put stickers on and and stuff, but I think I will wait until I do a little more research. The thing sounds awesome!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post
I think Mike Layton has or has had an 8 lug Supraphonic (with Imperial lugs). They do exist, albeit in small numbers. Yours is sort of halfway between with the bowtie lugs.

The working theory is they may have been shells that were punched for Acrolite usage (same aluminum spun shells) and then mistakenly got chrome plated which destined them to become 8 lug "Supras" or chrome plated Acros. Perhaps Ludwig offered them at a discount or just crossed their fingers and hoped nobody noticed. Another theory would be some special order for a particular bid. Like the 6.5" NYCBoE Acrolites. But if you're penny pinching to that degree why spring extra for the chrome and not just buy an Acro.

Perhaps the oddball layout and the seemingly hand punched badge go hand in hand but we'll likely never know why.
I was hoping K.O. would weigh in on this! His description makes perfect sense. Sure seems like a one-of-a-kind drum to me...and one I'd definitely keep!

-Mark
Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 AM

Definitely plan on keeping it, just really interested in unraveling the mystery. I love oddities!