Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Default Opinion on 'Maya' MIJ set

Hey all,

Found this set for sale about an hour and a half away from me, and I'm wondering it it's worth picking up:

The guy is asking $350, comes with everything in the picture, hardware & cymbals too (I'm wagering that he has the rods and other pieces for the front bass drum head).

Thanks as always for your help and advice.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Opinion on 'Maya' MIJ set

Looks clean.

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

It does appear to be in good shape.
I wouldn't bet on him having the rods/claws though. My experience with "pickin'" is that once they've been removed, they get lost. Always swallowed up in some black hole or something...

As for it's worth: It depends on what you intend to do with it. If you're going to play it, it might well be clean & complete enough to make it worth the $350 plus the drive. But, if it were me, that's too much if it's going to be purchased for resale.

I love that color!

Just my two Abe's.
Bill
Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

350 complete,incl cymbals and stands,sure why not?.The operative word here is "asking"and you know what that means...Let the games begin !!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

That drum kit is for sale in my home town . i have not went over to check them out , it's just a pass for me . it's been up a while now , it is a clean kit , it would make a nice starter set for the price and it seem negotiable , i kinda like the color .
Old 11-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I've tried researching Maya Drums but, there seems to be a lot of conflicting "evidence" out there concerning their parent company. A gentleman on one site claimed that they were made by a Rokkeman Manufacturer from Kobe. There is even a Philipines connection that others assert is where Mayas were produced. This seems to be a very interesting kit. Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light.
Brian
- writer, author : "Swan Song in Puerto Vallarta", "The Bouncer" (all online retailers such as Amazon.com, etc.)
Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
I've tried researching Maya Drums but, there seems to be a lot of conflicting "evidence" out there concerning their parent company. A gentleman on one site claimed that they were made by a Rokkeman Manufacturer from Kobe. There is even a Philipines connection that others assert is where Mayas were produced. This seems to be a very interesting kit. Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light.
Brian
that maya kit look's like a majestic kit or it came from the same factory where the majestic's were made .
Old 11-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Those are very interesting-certainly well constructed and outfitted-eight lug toms and the pseudo-Camco double mount.I don't know if you'd find anything spectacularly better for around that price.And it is a nice color.I think $350 is all the money-$300 is better if totally complete.They certainly would be an excellent first set.

Last edited by teverson-sr; 11-16-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Well I'll definitely look into it, anyway - and if all the pieces are there and the guy is flexible on price, then I might have to drive down and pick it up...we'll see.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to jonnistix

This is an early 70s Pearl kit, those are the lugs we call "Battleship" lugs, used for only a very few years, like maybe 3 or 4 production years. Those are hard to come by, but the rods and claws are standard Pearl fare and can be had new from drum factory direct.com (direct link at the bottom). I would be more comfortable in the 250 range, but if you like 'em, I guess 350 is what you could stand. They appear to be fairly complete, as far as original tom holders and all that jazz goes. Look like 22-12-13-16. The snare is not the best of Pearl's early 70s offerings, but you should be able to tune it up OK.
T-rods:
http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/ind...Path=6_107_283
Claws:
http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/ind...cPath=6_107_81
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603