Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 AM
grantro grantro is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,477
Cool RIP Chris Cornell

Hey all,

It`s another sad day in music...We lost another great front man...He died in Detroit...

Cheers
__________________
1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1971 Ludwig Classics Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1960`s Stewart Blue Onyx 20-20-14-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2017, 10:57 AM
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 259
Default Re: RIP Chris Cornell

From what I read ,looks like another suicide.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2017, 01:45 PM
human71 human71 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montreal, Que. Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default Re: RIP Chris Cornell

I know, i'm still speechless and completely shocked and saddened.. As both a drummer, song writer, and lead vocalist, i was heavily influenced by his music and his voice.
My vital years of learning my craft was based around Soundgarden, and not the typical Pearl Jam or Nirvana.. Soundgarden and Cornell were much more musically accomplished, amazing rock musicians and songwriters, and still managed to break the mainstream.To me that is the work of the ultimate band..
The world just lost the best lead vocalist of the past 25 years, and i for one, will be scratching
my head over that one for a very long time..
R.I.P Chris ....

Last edited by human71; 05-19-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Mo Tonkie Mo Tonkie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S of Nash
Posts: 361
Default Re: RIP Chris Cornell

Check out his twitter posts. Seems like the guy had a lot to live for. Hard to buy the suicide angle.

Last edited by Mo Tonkie; 05-18-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 PM
human71 human71 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montreal, Que. Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default Re: RIP Chris Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Tonkie View Post
Check out his twitter posts. Seems like the guy had a lot to live for. I can't buy the suicide angle.
Me neither.. Apparently his last tweet was getting excited about playing, as he put it, "Detroit Rock City".. How can someone who's excited about touring and playing, go and kill himself ?? I am a conspiracy theorist to a certain extent, and have researched many aspects of the music industry, and it's "new age" occultic origins for the past decade..
Not saying those aspects were associated to him, but all i'm saying something doesn't add up..
Now speculation will pollute cyberspace and Youtube, and it's already happening.. I think the guys in the band need to make a statement without any other party involved, (i.e. manager, record label exec, PR person, or personal assistant) ..Just the three of them..
I for one don't believe anything the mainstream media spews out as their "truth", as the whole fake news fiasco has been proven time and time again..The only words i'll believe will be directly from the horse's mouth-- The band themselves..Not even a cop's or coroner's statement will satisfy me..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Mo Tonkie Mo Tonkie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S of Nash
Posts: 361
Default Re: RIP Chris Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by human71 View Post
I for one don't believe anything the mainstream media spews out as their "truth", as the whole fake news fiasco has been proven time and time again..The only words i'll believe will be directly from the horse's mouth-- The band themselves..Not even a cop's or coroner's statement will satisfy me..
Definitely. Seems odd that the coroner's conclusion of suicide was issued less than 24 hours after his death. Maybe that's normal though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Cam Cam is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 193
Default Re: RIP Chris Cornell

Terrible news. Initial report appears to be hanging.

I've been listening to SG flat out since I heard about this.

Superunknown and Bad Motorfinger are two of the greatest rock records ever in my opinion and Cornell was a vastly underrated musician, he was much more than just the voice.

Here's a few comments from the engineer who did Superunknown, Michael Beinhorn, on Cornell and that record:

"Yes, Chris was/is a terrific musician. He was a drummer first, then started singing and gradually learned to play everything else out of necessity. His demos were pretty accurate representations of the songs, in fact, we wound up changing virtually none of his arrangements or parts. When I got the demo for Black Hole Sun, I was pretty stunned- it was really well done. I think he had the original demo up on his website at one point- worth hearing, if only to get an idea of how well he writes, plays and records his own music. A true lesson in excellence. "

"Out of every record I have ever worked on, Superunknown was the only one where no arrangement alterations were made on any songs. The songs came in and were cut as was. Chris would present his demos on cassette and there was always something great. A few days into tracking, he showed up with a tape that had "4th of July" and "Superunknown"."

"Regarding Chris's overdriven vocals, to start, he has a very powerful voice. He could sing about 5-8 hours per day full voice with very few breaks. Over the course of the recording, he destroyed about 5 U87's"

"Kim actually didn't play much guitar on "Superunknown"- apart from leads, it was mainly Chris. Chris' time/feel was better, as was his tone. "


https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...ing-info.html?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 PM
J!m J!m is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Haven, CT
Posts: 1,093
Default Re: RIP Chris Cornell

I can't even wrap my head around this news. Heard it on NPR this morning- wait, what?

Unbelievable.
__________________
Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Oak (6X13!); DW collectors 5-1/2X14 maple; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2017, 02:28 AM
human71 human71 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montreal, Que. Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default Re: RIP Chris Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Terrible news. Initial report appears to be hanging.

I've been listening to SG flat out since I heard about this.

Superunknown and Bad Motorfinger are two of the greatest rock records ever in my opinion and Cornell was a vastly underrated musician, he was much more than just the voice.

Here's a few comments from the engineer who did Superunknown, Michael Beinhorn, on Cornell and that record:

"Yes, Chris was/is a terrific musician. He was a drummer first, then started singing and gradually learned to play everything else out of necessity. His demos were pretty accurate representations of the songs, in fact, we wound up changing virtually none of his arrangements or parts. When I got the demo for Black Hole Sun, I was pretty stunned- it was really well done. I think he had the original demo up on his website at one point- worth hearing, if only to get an idea of how well he writes, plays and records his own music. A true lesson in excellence. "

"Out of every record I have ever worked on, Superunknown was the only one where no arrangement alterations were made on any songs. The songs came in and were cut as was. Chris would present his demos on cassette and there was always something great. A few days into tracking, he showed up with a tape that had "4th of July" and "Superunknown"."

"Regarding Chris's overdriven vocals, to start, he has a very powerful voice. He could sing about 5-8 hours per day full voice with very few breaks. Over the course of the recording, he destroyed about 5 U87's"

"Kim actually didn't play much guitar on "Superunknown"- apart from leads, it was mainly Chris. Chris' time/feel was better, as was his tone. "


https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...ing-info.html?
Cam- Amazing.. Thanks for that little bit of historic on info on one of the greatest rock musicians that ever lived.. I didn't know he was a drummer first.. Being the first lead vocalist in my band as well as the drummer, and being heavily influenced by both he and the band, it feels great knowing that.. We'll be paying tribute to him by playing our acoustic version of Black Hole Sun, and will try to get some video up here if we can get someone to film it..

Cheers,
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM
vintagemore2000 vintagemore2000 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10,285
Default Re: RIP Chris Cornell

This is some of my favorite works of his, stunning !!!!
__________________
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign