Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Default Thoughts on this Rogers Holiday Kit?

First off, if you are a veteran, thank you for your service!

I saw this Dayton era Rogers kit at a local music shop yesterday. The sizes seem odd to me, but then again, I am a noob. They are 12,13,16,18 and 20. What is shown in the pics is all there is. So, obviously there are a few rims, a bass drum hoop, and some lugs missing. There are a some holes drilled in the bass that look like maybe a cymbal mount was there at one time?
Anyway, do you folks think $500 is a good price considering the condition etc.? I would buy them with the intention of refurbishing and flipping them, but would likely fall prey to the Helsinki effect in the process and end up keeping them.
Thanks,
AL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	white rogers kit.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	113869   Click image for larger version

Name:	rogers lable.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	113870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8612.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	113871  
Old 11-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Thoughts on this Rogers Holiday Kit?

Although vintage Rogers drums are very desirable, at $500 you will probably not be able to refurbish this set properly with all the necessary hardware and then flip them for a profit. Rogers drums lose a lot of their collectable value if the shells have been modified (redrilled), and replacement stock Rogers hardware (lugs, collets, mounts, knobbies, hoops) can get expensive. The missing double tom post and arms will run about $150 alone!

With that being said, I think this kit is still worth picking up as a player kit for the right price considering that it has the less-common 18" FT. It is a little odd that a 12,13,16FT 18FT setup would come with a 20" bass, but that's what the original owner could have ordered.

Good luck with it and let us know what you do.

Mike
Old 11-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Painted inside... and were not white on the outside to begin with. 70464 Should be Flat Gray inside... Dayton. 1967/very early 68. Cannot be white on the outside.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys! The more I thought about it, the less I thought it was really worth in that condition. I'll see if it is still there in a few months, and make a low-ball offer. Being from Cleveland I have always wanted a vintage Rogers kit, but I think I can find a better candidate.