Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Default Dec 6, 2010 - Reminder - Sections Closing
This is just a reminder that 5 sections of the forum will be closing.

Other web sites are all ready in place if people wish to use them.

We are just working out one last technical issue with one web site.

So by Jan 1, 2011 these sections will no longer allow posts on this forum.

1. Video Section
2,3.4 Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted
5. General

More information and how it will work in the coming weeks.

David
Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Dec 6, 2010 - Reminder - Sections Closing
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM

I am all for it. I thought I misclicked the other day and got the weather channel forum.....

toodles

drumhack
Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 PM

I like the video section. I really enjoy the board's music selections. I have been turned on to some really cool music.
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'll miss the Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted section.
I've been able to buy some hard to find parts, and help out a few guys looking for specific parts as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
I'll miss the Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted section.
I've been able to buy some hard to find parts, and help out a few guys looking for specific parts as well.
One of the largest sources of vintage parts has publicly left the forum anyways, due to another criticizing thread. We will miss him much more than he misses us, I can guarantee that much. There are some who have his contact info but the new guy to the forum loses out on an opportunity to get a hard to find part now. What a shame and a tremendous loss of a good guy and teriffic resource of both parts and information.

I may do some research and get a percentage of parts wanted posts he responded to. I will bet it is a higher percentage than any other three people on here, combined.

(This is just me taking up for Mikey777. I have been holding it back for a couple days until I could find a neutral delivery of my intended message)

toodles

drumhack
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yeah, I realize a few threads in these sections have, well, been diverted or gone off the rails.
I think closing them will be a loss for the forum, as a whole.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
Yeah, I realize a few threads in these sections have, well, been diverted or gone off the rails.
I think closing them will be a loss for the forum, as a whole.
I personally don't think its a loss to the forum. The forum is a place for discussion, not buy and sell. That's what ebay and craiglist are for. Besides, there will be a different site set up through the forum for just that (buying and selling). Didn't anyone read the first post thoroughly?

I think the video section was entertaining, but mostly just a rehash of what anyone can search for on youtube....so kind of pointless to some degree...

Its for the better, I believe.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator

The forum will still remain flexible with content if it is good for the site.

The video section has turned into some pretty silly topics not related to much more then personal likes and dislikes in music. Also posting of content which appears to benefit the poster and not for much more then that is not needed here. There is a site already in place for the video content which I will be linking to in the coming weeks.

Remember, if someone posts a video and wants to know what drums are being shown, that is a post that can stay here. If they are just posting a video for fun, then the video site is just that, a site for all funny drumming stuff, favorite bands, favorite videos, personal videos and other drum content like that. The discussions will be less regulated there in regards to people posting.

There is already a site for the general section up and running and it has been in place for 6 months and is active with general drumming questions. It handles all of the questions that are constantly being asked by new visitors and beginners in the vintage and drumming community.

Once the question comes in there, I handle moving it to the forum or if the person asking the question wants to further the discussion I send them a link to the section to post in here. It has been up for 6 months and almost 300 questions have been answered.

The buy/sell and trade will have a new site and new format for selling based on a nice classified section with options to upgrade listings (for a fee) and other nice features for buying and selling. It is set up with different categories to list items in and is a site just related to selling.

The home page is for special listings for high end sets or items. If a seller wants top spot on the home page they can upgrade to be there for a small fee.

This site is also in place with just one small coding issue we are working out.

Once the system is up and running for 4-6 months then the site will have a new module installed that works exactly like eBay, so sellers have the option of selling in the classified section (which is free) or moving over to the eBay style listings.

All the sites will link together, so once they are all live then anyone can join a site and or all of the sites with the same userID and password. We can also manually set people up in all of the different locations.

On paper it all looks functional and works, but we understand that there will be kinks and issues, so we will work on those as they come up.

More in the coming weeks.

David
Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

I'm kinda new here...

Where's the new "General" Section? I just posted in the General forum tonight, not realizing that it was going away. I kinda like the general forum.