Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 06-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Beginning of My Bonzo

One step at a time!!! Got some pieces put back on that outer ply of the bass drum. Got the rest of the cortex cleaned off the 18" and 20"! They went really well. Didn't take any of that outer ply. Hoping to start work on that glue residue tomorrow. Were working on it!

Curtis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonzo 24.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	100218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonzo 23.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	100219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonzo 21.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	100220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonzo 22.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	100221  

Old 06-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_curtis View Post
Normally I use a paint stripper to remove glue residue. Especially when it's as thick as it is on these shells. Just curious what other people are using to remove glue residue?
I mostly use acetone or Goof Off, but never tried paint stripper. I have an 18" FT that's been sitting around for months waiting for me to convert it into a BD, and there's quite a bit of glue residue I just haven't got to taking off and looks remarkably similar to these ones. I have all the parts (thanks Burgundy) but just need to get that glue off, so might give the paint stripper a go. Any special tricks involved?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Adam McHugh View Post
I mostly use acetone or Goof Off, but never tried paint stripper. I have an 18" FT that's been sitting around for months waiting for me to convert it into a BD, and there's quite a bit of glue residue I just haven't got to taking off and looks remarkably similar to these ones. I have all the parts (thanks Burgundy) but just need to get that glue off, so might give the paint stripper a go. Any special tricks involved?
I use the Klean Strip paint remover. Make sure you're in a well ventilated area and don't get it on your skin. If it hits your skin you will notice within seconds. It will burn. At least wear glasses if not gloves too. I just use a putty knife to scrape it. I put newspaper down to catch the stuff I'm scraping off. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2016, 05:52 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Are those ear plugs you used to plug the holes in the bass??? Great idea if so!! Shells coming along nicely too.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
Are those ear plugs you used to plug the holes in the bass??? Great idea if so!! Shells coming along nicely too.
Glenn yes those are ear plugs. I didn't do the whole drum because I decided it wasn't really necessary yet. This was an idea I've had for a while to use ear plugs so I ordered a giant box online for like $12 or something. Great for Certain situations.

Curtis
Old 06-23-2016, 04:01 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_curtis View Post
I use the Klean Strip paint remover. Make sure you're in a well ventilated area and don't get it on your skin. If it hits your skin you will notice within seconds. It will burn. At least wear glasses if not gloves too. I just use a putty knife to scrape it. I put newspaper down to catch the stuff I'm scraping off. Good luck!
Thanks! I don't know Klean Strip - brand names differ down here in Oz, so will have to hunt down an equivalent.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks for the followup on the ear plugs Curtis. Great idea!
I used Citristrip from the Home Depot on the last shell I stripped. That with a Scotch-brite pad took the glue right off.

Have you decided on a wrap color yet? Cool project this is.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR428 View Post
Thanks for the followup on the ear plugs Curtis. Great idea!
I used Citristrip from the Home Depot on the last shell I stripped. That with a Scotch-brite pad took the glue right off.

Have you decided on a wrap color yet? Cool project this is.
Glenn I may have to try that method. My Klean Strip was not working well at all on my bass drum yesterday. I think I'll try it again and leave it on longer. I'm pretty sure it will be green sparkle for sake of Bonham tribute or champagne. Not sure at this point. I love seeing that mahogany so that makes me think of going au natural with maple hoops.

For now things are coming to a halt because tomorrow I have to go in for carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand and then in two weeks my left hand. Bums me out but I am hopeful to have great results and be able to work on drums, and play guitar without my hands going numb. I will be back to this project but it will be a while. Thanks guys for all the comments so far.

Eric Curtis
Old 06-24-2016, 01:05 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Curtis good luck with surgery. I hope it helps fix things for you. That was the reason I stopped playing long ago. Please post a update how things went when you can. And the healing process time frame. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2016, 01:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

EC - Hey bud, long time no speak!

Find 'donor shells' in the same sizes as the drums that need reinforcement (or patches) to use! The wood will already be 'shaped' for you and all you'll have to do is cut the size reinforcement patches you'll need and then drill them for hardware if needed. Good luck with the kit buddy.

Don't kill yourself or burn down the house while you do it though, ok?

Warm regards,

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm

Last edited by Purdie Shuffle; 06-24-2016 at 01:36 AM.