Old 03-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Impulse Pearl Wood Fiberglass buy
I just was killing some time at work and came across an early to mid 70's Pearl Wood Fiberglass four piece drum set for $249. Before I could rationally think about it, I was on the phone buying it. Seems like a good deal (even though I will have to buy a lug and tension rod for the floor tom). The wrap is in great shape and I hear that these drums sound decent. What are your thoughts on these drums? I figure that I should be able to recoup my expense on local Craigslist if I do not like them. What are some of the pros and cons on these drums? Why are they consistently so cheap in the current market? Thanks for your feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Impulse Pearl Wood Fiberglass buy
I really want a set of these and when they pop up at interesting prices they are always just a little too far away...
Pros: Indestructible, loud (though that is also a negative)
Cons:They weigh a lot

I'd love to have a set for winter gigging and just leave them in the car!
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Agreed. Loud and heavy. The wood used in these drums was Luan not unlike their earlier stencil kits. Because of this, the edges can be pretty miserable. I believe the edge profile was always intended to be somewhat of a round over. My assumption is that cleaning up the edges would make these some fine sounding and indestructible drums.

I had a set for about 30 years. My edges were pretty miserable except the 16" FT which sounded pretty good. I did have issues with the tom mounts. The mounts were fabricated from fairly cheap metal and my 10x14 was heavy enough that I broke three of them over time. Probably OK with a 12" and 13" but just keep an eye on that.

Good score for that cost. The Pearl style lug is still readily available for just a few bucks.

Last edited by tnsquint; 03-23-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to get em and play em.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:09 AM

I agree with what the others said, loud and heavy. Also I remember the edges on mine were kind of rounded. This could be good or bad depending on how the heads tune up for you. What's cool IMO, is not only the great price you got them at but the Red Flash finish. That was one of my favorite 70s Pearl finishes. The bass drum on the one I had was killer. I remember scarring one of our guitarists the first time I hit the thing at a soundcheck.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I think you did very well.. They look in good condition... I owned a set of those and played on many of those kits.. I was never happy with the metal BD hoops and replaced them with Ludwig wood hoops on the kit that I owned.. It made a big improvement..

Cheers
John
Old 08-15-2015, 03:58 AM

WANTED: PEARL 1970's 14" WOOD-FIBERGLASS FLOOR TOM IN BLACK, BUT WILL TAKE ANY COLOR... ANTHONY, 516-858-4800
Old 08-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Another con is some of them have the old JIS standard screws/ threads in some of the hardware. Can't get replacements of the shelf at a hardware store. Big, loud, boom!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I saw a similar set a little while back on German eBay going quite cheap. I was the same as you. I was going to pull the trigger and just buy them even though I knew nothing about them. When you see those fire-engine-red shells with the words "wood fiberglass" on the badge you're like, uh what? I must have this set! Like you said, I'm sure you can resell them if you're not happy, but don't think that way. These are going to be great drums.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

That's about the size of it - assuming they have lead a relatively safe life. Some possible hardware issues and some bearing edge work should get you in a good place with these. The one I had had NOT lead a safe life, running around barefooted with no bottom heads, keeping company with loose 70s and 80s characters, battling analog drum machines, risking various percussive STD's, ya know... So I had a lot of extra work on mine repairing delaminations in spots where the FG liner had let loose of the wood shell. Glue, filler, sweat... worked out fine. Sound great still and I paid like, nothing for them.