Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 11-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Ringo Reso Head

"Another enormous seller at the auction was The Beatles' drum head used during their legendary 1964 debut performance on "The Ed Sullivan Show," which went for an eye-popping $2.1 million."

Anyone surprised? How does this effect what the actual drums may go for next month?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ringo Reso Head

Yeah.. I was surprised ... the Axe maybe... But 100 grand per inch of Reso ??

Cheers
John
Old 11-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

They were estimating his downbeat kit to go upwards of $500k. With just that head selling for a cool 2 million, I'd bet that Downbeat goes for much more than the estimate!

It's kind of funny in a way.. I mean, when you really get down to it, it's just an old plastic drumhead with "The Beatles" written on it.. just ink written on plastic.

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Old 11-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewkowski View Post
It's kind of funny in a way.. I mean, when you really get down to it, it's just an old plastic drumhead with "The Beatles" written on it.. just ink written on plastic.
Yep, and Van Gogh's Starry Night is just an old piece of canvas with $6 worth of lead-based oil paint spread on it. And the original Declaration of Independence is just ink on parchment. It is kind of funny the high premium we place on historical artifacts.

What I can't understand is paying $3 million for a record-breaking baseball which becomes worthless when that record is broken a few years later:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Expensive Balls.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	91432

And then these valuable artifacts end up in display cases in some billionaire's home. I hope that $2 million reso head ends up back on Ringo's OBP kit, and finds a home on display in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for all of us peons to enjoy.

Mike
Old 11-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

"Colts owner Jim Irsay didn't add a fourth Beatles guitar to his collection this weekend, but he did pick up an iconic piece of Fab Four history.

Irsay paid $2.125 million for the bass drum head used by Ringo Starr during the Beatles' 1964 performances in the United States -- including the band's debut on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

Last edited by orangemi; 11-10-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemi View Post
"Colts owner Jim Irsay didn't add a fourth Beatles guitar to his collection this weekend, but he did pick up an iconic piece of Fab Four history.

Irsay paid $2.125 million for the bass drum head used by Ringo Starr during the Beatles' 1964 performances in the United States -- including the band's debut on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

Wow! I was wondering who the buyer was. I also wonder just how many bidders were running that price up!

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley