Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 10-12-2019, 12:39 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default E/drums?

Bothers me to ask, but is anyone using "electronic" kits considering this is a vintage forum?..Personally, never have , never will, to late for me.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: E/drums?

Yes I do. We live in a townhouse. So there's always the noise factor with neighbors. Not the greatest option but lets me practice pretty much anytime. I use headphones with my music. I bought a Alesis mesh kit. Rebound is not the greatest with mesh heads. But not bad.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

For several years (after meeting Frank Beard) I have triggered when we play large spaces or outdoors- even sampling my own kit sounds to trigger: so basically a hybrid kit/ acoustic yet getting the volume and 'pure' kit sounds when space and area don't allow the audience to 'hear' it all.... AND I like the ability to change bass and snare drum sounds as well as have sampled effects/ hand percussion... And yes I sometimes use an E-kit for low volume practice in the house .
Old 10-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

I must confess to having two electronic drum kits (Roland TD-10, TD-20) while I only have one modern acoustic kit. I also have several combinations to make up historic drum kits to display a bass drum pedal collection. I used the electronic kits to teach with two TD-10's side by side in a teaching studio. It worked out great for that purpose. I converted one set of the TD-10 toms to bar triggers when I got the TD-20 set. In fact I just bought the brain, large snare, stand mountable high hat, and ride cymbal package and used the rest of the former TD-10 set. I love the mesh heads and Roland's original patent ran out so mesh heads are already more standard than rubber pads. I enjoy being able to play quieter, play to the included song/rhythm samples and just play them for fun. I recommend looking into electronic drums for acoustic set drummers, at least to do layering or triggering of sounds and possibly making a hybrid kit. I have the other Roland products, SPD-S and SPD-1 pads and also the Korg Wavedrums series. I can also really recommend the ATV corporation's A-Frame electronic hand drum, the hard-to-find Mandala drum by Danny Carey, and a very strange instrument called a Slapstick by Andy Graham of California (where else!). I think one of the best options for ahybrid drum set would be a Roland Handsonic. If you are a mallet player then check out the MalletKat and Pearl MalletStation. I don't think you can be too old to check these things out, I will be 68 the day after Christmas (always running late). The only drawback I see is maybe having to buy a small amp if you don't have access to one for performing, but that is not the big deal in size, weight, and cost it was when I was a young and immortal rock and roller. Anybody remember those big Marshall stacks and Voice of the Theater speakers?
Old 10-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

No, no, and positively, no. They're not for me. I can understand why some people use them; they're handy tools for recording, apartment practice and certain live situations, but to me, e-kits are fun to mess with in a music store, but that's it. Not interested.

One of the bands I'm in used to play a restaurant/bar where all drummers in appearing bands were required to play the house electronic set due to volume issues. I was fortunate never to be on those gigs.
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60s MIJ Apollo/Majestic, Red Sparkle, 13/16/20
'60s Stewart, Gold Sparkle, 12/13/16/22

Author of the book, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."