Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > For Sale

Old 11-15-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Rogers snare 1980

Hi there,

I just ordered a brand new Firchie roto-snare, online from Ivan Firchie in NY. Does anyone know if this guy is for real? There's quite a bit of money involved, so i'd like to know if anyone has anything to say about that. He does have a real enough website (firchie.com) and he seems a real nice guy from the emails, but with online identities you never know. I'm a bit far away to go get my money back if needed, since i'm in Amsterdam.

Furthermore, I have a spare piccolo for sessions and so on, so i thought to sell my old Rogers. However, i don't have a notion what it's worth. Who has a clue? It's a 15"x6", 10-lug full-chrome metal drum, with the independant snare-bridge that Rogers is known for. It has a adjustable muffler inside the kettle and is equipped with pinstripe drumhead and ambassador clear snarehead. I bought it new at the former Professional Percussion Center in Manhattan, about 25 years ago. The serial number is D-603004 and of course it is in almost perfect condition.

After i play my new Firchie i'll let you gals know what i think of it. Possibly post some pictures or even a soundtrack..... (is that possible here?).

Grateful for any and all input, best regards from Amsterdam,

Yuri.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Rogers snare 1980

Hey there. I owned a Pearl "roto-snare" in the early eighties and it was one of the most unique and good sounding drums I've heard. This snare had a 14" roto tom mounted on a bracket that attached to the inside of the chrome finish fiberglass shell. It was a little "dry" sounding to some people, but I tuned it very high as I am a big Bonham/Bruford/Copeland/Jordan fan. I thought it rocked, and I'm sorry I don't have it now. I don't know what the price is, but if the Firchie company can replicate that drum it would be great. I paid $125.00 for the Pearl roto-snare at Manny's in NYC in 1982! Good luck with your drum.