Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 06-17-2019, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Default Slingerland, can you id this snare

Pretty sure this would have had a wrap, can you tell what model it is from these pics. Is it an artist model. Has 6 lugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imgK471YW0W.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	125862   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpvUzxZOAM.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	125863   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpMRC3ujAM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	125864  

Last edited by skins_in_the_game; 06-17-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: add more details
Old 06-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Slingerland, can you id this snare

I am certainly not a Slingerland expert but I thought in the 60's the shells were stamped with either a P or and M with the P meaning pearl wrap and the M meaning no wrap. Is it 6 lugs or eight? The no wrap and the single flange hoops lead me to believe this is a student model.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

This drum started out life as possibly a Student model snare drum. Given the mahogany interior ply, I'd say this could be no later than a 1962. The Black/Brass badge, with no serial number, was used from 1960-62. The Zoomatic strainer is not original to the drum! It's also mounted up higher than it should be. Probably came with a Rapid strainer with a 2.5" vertical hole spacing. The die cast hoops are not original, nor are they Slingerland!

This might be the Special Student Drum. Check the link here... http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/imag...pg12_large.jpg

-Mark
Old 06-17-2019, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info, I was thinking that the badge and the zoomatic were conflicting time periods. The special student model from 62 looks to have the same wood but with the 6 lug arrangement, this could be a ok players drum, maybe I'll throw in a low bid.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_in_the_game View Post
Thanks for the info, I was thinking that the badge and the zoomatic were conflicting time periods.
The badge (Niles-no serial) and the Zoomatic are not conflicting time periods, both were used in '62. The conflict is the Zoomatic on a 6 lug drum. That's a student model drum with the Zoomatic added post factory as Mark correctly stated earlier. If you look real close you can see a hole behind the strainer tab that most likely held the original rapid strainer.