Old 07-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Vintage Slingerland white marine pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
Well they did use that mount on the Arkansas drums as well.....I know this for a fact as I re-wrapped one for a friend a few years ago and it had the Arkansas badge. So we are in agreement that its not truely a vintage kit per-se, but it is still a nice kit.
Sorry to re-visit this thread again, but I stand corrected.....since I repurchased the "kit" that I re-wrapped for a now deceased friend I was able to re-examine the bass drum. It is an early 90's Artist Custom bass drum, so...yup MCJNIC is correct about the era....see, this is why my name is LUDWIG-dude, not Slingerland-dude...LOL!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjnic View Post
The wrap isn't faded because this is an import kit from the early 90's. It's a maple outer and inner with a mahogany core. Note the small chip used in the WMP. It's the typical blotchy look of the modern WMP. Also, note the bass mount. That was used only for the Spirit and Artist Custom line. This is an Artist Custom kit. Lastly, check out the badge on the floor. It's the "USA" badge. The wood is from the US, shipped to Taiwan for assembly. The completed drum is shipped back to the US for sale. All in all, the kit will sound pretty good. But, it's not a vintage Slingerland by any stretch of the imagination. Value - not much.
Michael, is the core mahogany used on the Artist Custom series real african mahogany or the cheaper lauan?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

the cheaper stuff. it is a very unfortunate thing, that african mahogany. it fell out of use in the drum shell industry for many many reasons. the most glaring variable is the bottom dollar cost.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
the cheaper stuff. it is a very unfortunate thing, that african mahogany. it fell out of use in the drum shell industry for many many reasons. the most glaring variable is the bottom dollar cost.
Well, even with the cheaper lauan core plies, the maple plies seem to be the key. The bass drum I re-aquired sounds great! I'm really suprised that these didn't sell better than they did.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

that's what i've been saying. they sound great, but because of the timing in relation to the (mostly chinese) asian influx, the resale sucks. good gigging kit for cheap.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
that's what i've been saying. they sound great, but because of the timing in relation to the (mostly chinese) asian influx, the resale sucks. good gigging kit for cheap.
Yep, thats for sure.....this 15"x18" bass I got sounds really HUGE too! Unfortunately, my friend before he passed away requested that I fit Ludwig lugs to it so it would match the other Ludwig drums he had, so the shell has been drilled for those lugs as well as the original Slingerland ones. No biggie as you say resale is horrible.....and it was wrapped over the original natural maple due to the outer ply cracking and splitting anyway. So currently it has a Ludwig badge (his doing not mine), large classic Ludwig lugs, the slingerland double tom mount removed and holes covered with repro Rogers Blue Onyx wrap, original Artist custom spurs and original T-rods and claws.....yes a real mish-mash, but still it sounds great! Resale value? ummm....not so much, but I don't think I'd part with this one anyway.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Interested. Price?
Hey is your 71 Slingerland Buddy Rich set in Mahogany Lacquer in good shape? Slingalud
Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

it's in great shape. why?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Yeah. I hate when this happens. Someone will think they have something worth some serious loot and you have to go and rain on their parade. I've had that happen too many times. I feel so bad.

Check out a used Gretsch Catalina Club. It's got a decent sound and has this same exact wrap. You can usually get one used for about 150-200. 18, 14, 12, with matching 14 snare, with hardware. Work on the shells a bit and it actually sounds pretty nice. You can do the shell work in one sitting. Smooth and wax the edges, either hardwax oil or tung oil the insides. That's it. Nice sound after that. One sitting and you've improved the sound of the kit by several levels. Worth the investment if you find one. They are plentiful.
Can you PM exactly what products and you use to wax the edges and inside, does this work on all drums or just cheapies, what was the process