Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 12-29-2019, 01:29 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Inexpensive Hardware Bag for lightweight/vintage hardware

Greetings,

I find most hardware bags to be too long and/or bulky to handle comfortably. Also, they are usually fairly expensive too. I have come across a solution for a lighter weight hardware bag that works great: A small keyboard bag!

I use this bag, which is made for a small, 49 key keyboard. It's dimensions are 35.5" L x 12.75" W, 5" H. It's also very well padded and well made, has an nice sized outer pocket and backpack straps:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/13988

This is a good size to hold and carry. It's similar to the size of the bags that come with the lightweight hardware packs like the DW Ultralight, Yamaha Crosstown or the Tama Classic. Most of those bags are only 25" or 26" long, but are otherwise roughly the same. Having the extra 10" or so of length allows you to fit a pedal, throne base, throne top, stick bag and some accessories. I really like mine, and I got it at a very reasonable price; they go for about $45 brand new online. The Yamaha Crosstown bag and the DW Ultralight bag don't have any exterior pockets, which is kind of lame. I love the exterior pocket on this keyboard bag!

Just wanted to share this tip with you all. It works great for me, and although you can't fit a ton inside it, and it's obviously not meant for a super heavy load, it will work very well if you have lightweight, vintage or flat based hardware. Just to give you an idea of the capacity, I use mine for 4 Yamaha Crosstown Cymbal Stands, a Yamaha Crosstown Hi-Hat Stand, Yamaha Crosstown Snare Stand along with a (foldable) Yamaha strap drive pedal, lightweight throne base (Mapex Rebel), throne top, floor tom legs, tom arm, small stick bag and a few small accessories, which I utilize the large front pocket for.. It's full but is still holds everything I need. I have also used it with my Ludwig 1400 flat base stands and 1123-1 Hi Hat Stands, and also my Ludwig Atlas (first generation, with flat, non-tubular legs) with very good success.

V

Last edited by vyacheslav; 12-29-2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Inexpensive Hardware Bag for lightweight/vintage hardware

Thanks for the tip ! The last couple of bags I've had I've been unhappy with for the reasons you mentioned - this may be just what I'm looking for. I'll check it out - Thanks !!
Doug
Old 12-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi V!

Your link provides info on the bag, but no price or that it's even available. Here's a link to Amazon with the bag and price...

-Mark
Old 12-29-2019, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up of this bag. I've researching for a bag for my lightweight hardware.

I wonder if there is a way to put in dividers to keep the gear from hitting each other and scratching? The dividers in the DW bag is something I like but the bag is more than twice the price as yours.