Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 01-05-2019, 04:23 PM

Default Ludwig P85 v P86 strainers

This is my first post here, so please forgive me if this has already been covered in a previous thread.

I recently bought a 1970s Ludwig Acrolite snare, blue and olive badge. The previous owner replaced the P85 strainer with a P86 at some point.

I was going to switch it back to a P85, to return it closer to its original state, but I have read conflicting reports as to which is better.

Is this simply a matter of preference? Or is one considered better/more user-friendly than the other?

Interested to hear some views..

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Old 01-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig P85 v P86 strainers

I like the P85 better. Plus it would be the correct one for the drum. The P86 is a little fancy and kinda looks out of place on most Acros in my opinion. Still a great throwoff though as long as you don't have an issue with some of the internals that loosen up over time. Good luck!

Mike
Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Sometimes the P-85 can hang-up when trying to engage, little oil (not WD-40) can fix it right up. Here's a link to a Pro Drum Shop tip with video: http://prodrumshop.com/blog/ludwig-p...nare-drum-fix/

Here's a thread on the DFO on the subject... but you'll find mixed reviews and I don't think there is a clear cut winner...
http://www.drumforum.org/threads/lud...trainer.93491/

To your point, personal preference always wins out! I'm a fan of the P-87 throw-off, I think it's Ludwig's best, but I hate the matching P-34 butt so I did a little modification for mine. If your interested it can be viewed here: http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=30979
Old 01-07-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanks guys! Found a 1970s P85 strainer online so I think I will switch it out and see how it goes..
Old 01-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Most excellent!
Let us know how the compare/contrast for the two throws works out for you...

Tags
acrolite , ludwig , strainer