Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 02-12-2019, 11:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Vintage MIJ Snare Drum ID Help!

So, I just found this snare drum on eBay! https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-VTG-J...m/183645684912

I paid nowhere near that price!

-Mark
Old 02-13-2019, 02:05 AM

My first thought was Pearl as well. I have a 60's Pearl snare that is a dead on copy of a Slingerland model (lugs, hoops, etc), including the non-usual throw off. So, I figured this could be another version. I attached a few pics.

I did post your pics on a vintage MIJ Facebook group. One guy seems to have the same snare (pic attached). I also attached his reply. His snare looks gorgeous.

This is half the fun with badge-less drums haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl-1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	123966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl-2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	123967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl-3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	123968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 2.24.07 AM.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	123969  

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 4.04.12 AM.png
Views:	40
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	123970  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Very cool snare, Mark. It reminds me a lot of a BDP "Gracy" snare that I have. I dig the extra wide re-rings.

Also, I know that strainer is not the best, but I imagine there is something oddly satisfying about moving that lever to engage/disengage the snares. Reminds me of an old-school phonograph we used to have when I was a kid. It was a similar lever that selected FM, AM, or Phono.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hey, Mark!
I think that Mikey is right. I have MIJ lugs with hole spacings of 2 3/16 inches. I am certainly no Ludwig expert but, I believe the hole spacing on my Supra is 2 1/2 inches not 2 3/16.
Brian
Old 02-13-2019, 01:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilok_Gurtu View Post
My first thought was Pearl as well. I have a 60's Pearl snare that is a dead on copy of a Slingerland model (lugs, hoops, etc), including the non-usual throw off. So, I figured this could be another version. I attached a few pics.

I did post your pics on a vintage MIJ Facebook group. One guy seems to have the same snare (pic attached). I also attached his reply. His snare looks gorgeous.

This is half the fun with badge-less drums haha.
Hi TG! Thanks for posting the pictures and the reply. Yes, it could be Hoshino. While the lugs on my snare resemble what Pearl was offering, they are different enough to think they might be from another manufacturer. Also, the blue sparkle drum is just like my drum, although his is missing the piece that the snare wires attach to.

-Mark
Old 02-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Very cool snare, Mark. It reminds me a lot of a BDP "Gracy" snare that I have. I dig the extra wide re-rings.

Also, I know that strainer is not the best, but I imagine there is something oddly satisfying about moving that lever to engage/disengage the snares. Reminds me of an old-school phonograph we used to have when I was a kid. It was a similar lever that selected FM, AM, or Phono.
Hi V!

Yeah, the strainer isn't the best, but it is cool engineering! Pretty neat about the phonograph you had, with this style lever!

-Mark
Old 02-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
Hey, Mark!
I think that Mikey is right. I have MIJ lugs with hole spacings of 2 3/16 inches. I am certainly no Ludwig expert but, I believe the hole spacing on my Supra is 2 1/2 inches not 2 3/16.
Brian
Hi Brian!

All of Ludwig's USA-made drums, with double-ended lugs, such as the Imperial, Classic and Acrolite lugs, have always had a mounting hole spacing of 2-3/16". What's interesting is that many of the brass shells available to custom builders, that are already punched for lugs, have a spacing of 2-3/16"! Makes it easy to use tube lugs, Imperial or Acrolite lugs. Attached is a picture of a drum I put together, using a Worldmax brass shell and Acrolite lugs...with 2-3/16" spacing.

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3143-1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	123972  
Old 02-14-2019, 08:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Hi Brian!

All of Ludwig's USA-made drums, with double-ended lugs, such as the Imperial, Classic and Acrolite lugs, have always had a mounting hole spacing of 2-3/16". What's interesting is that many of the brass shells available to custom builders, that are already punched for lugs, have a spacing of 2-3/16"! Makes it easy to use tube lugs, Imperial or Acrolite lugs. Attached is a picture of a drum I put together, using a Worldmax brass shell and Acrolite lugs...with 2-3/16" spacing.

-Mark
Thanks, Mark! I think it's time to get my glasses changed! That's certainly a beautiful drum you put together! Amazing work! Thanks again for the clarification! I'll gradually learn.
Brian
Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Hi Brian!

-Mark
Damn! I think I was thinking of STRAINER spacing! Ahhh...
Brian
Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
Damn! I think I was thinking of STRAINER spacing! Ahhh...
Brian
That makes sense! Many of Ludwig's strainers, such as the P83, P85, P86 and new P88, all use a spacing of 2.5".

-Mark