Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

View Poll Results: Oddest thing said about your vintage kit when out gigging?
Wow, those things sound good for being so old 3 27.27%
They still make that brand (i.e. you're playing a Slingerland or other defunct brand) 0 0%
Wow- they sound nearly as as my PDPs 1 9.09%
I wonder why my kit doesn't sound like yours? 2 18.18%
Bacon 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 AM
bunnyman bunnyman is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,829
Default Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

Since I have not been blocked from posting polls, I am putting one up, and it even has something to do with vintage drums.

Please elaborate on your poll answer if you feel compelled to do so.

Bloody iPad self editing feature changed option 3, as it's meant to say "as good as my PDPs".

Also, if you want to vote and your answer isn't on here, just vote "bacon" and elaborate.

For fun I may take the weirdest "bacon" votes and post a poll about those.
__________________
Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!

Last edited by bunnyman; 01-31-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
blairndrums blairndrums is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,543
Default Re: Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

This one isn't on there........


My first pro drumset was a circa 1948 BDP Slingerland RK set I bought in 1968.
I was 12.

When my oldest sister saw them,she said "Your drums are in a toilet seat finish!". Really bummed me out for a while!

Which is actually true though......there ARE Art Deco toilet seats in WMP/BDP and other cool colors!....

I actually have one in Steaked Opal Pearl I bought at a yard sale over 10 years ago !
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
bunnyman bunnyman is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,829
Default Re: Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairndrums View Post
This one isn't on there........


My first pro drumset was a circa 1948 BDP Slingerland RK set I bought in 1968.
I was 12.

When my oldest sister saw them,she said "Your drums are in a toilet seat finish!". Really bummed me out for a while!

Which is actually true though......there ARE Art Deco toilet seats in WMP/BDP and other cool colors!....

I actually have one in Steaked Opal Pearl I bought at a yard sale over 10 years ago !
Funny!!! Yeah, I wish I could edit the options...
__________________
Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
larryvonludwig larryvonludwig is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 266
Default Re: Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

MY first pro kit was/still is '77 Ludwig super classic ( I've added extra fl tom) in BUTCHER BLOCK. Too many insults to remember. I'll let Gary explain: " Other guys(girls )who see her may not think she's much to see. I can't begin to tell you what she really means to me!" She"s just my style!!!!

larry
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 AM
bunnyman bunnyman is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,829
Default Re: Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryvonludwig View Post
MY first pro kit was/still is '77 Ludwig super classic ( I've added extra fl tom) in BUTCHER BLOCK. Too many insults to remember. I'll let Gary explain: " Other guys(girls )who see her may not think she's much to see. I can't begin to tell you what she really means to me!" She"s just my style!!!!

larry
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
__________________
Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM
fungus amungus fungus amungus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rocket City, Alabama
Posts: 486
Default Re: Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

Well this ones not on there either:

"Where's the input jacks?"

The one I heard the most was, "How do you make them sound like that?"
At the time I was playing an old Sears kit that was borrowed because my 60's Slingy Double Bass kit had been stolen. Told them that I'd cleaned them, sealed the interior, touched up the bearing edges, replaced the heads & tuned them.

Their next question was always, "What the hell are bearing edges?"
__________________
"Play the drum...don't let it play you" - Max Roach

1968, 1974 & 1984 Rogers Dyna•Sonic COB
1971, 1976 Slingerland GK Sound King
1973 Slingerland Festival
1920's-40's Slingerland (US Military) Field Snares (6)
19?- Ludwig Field Snare (US Marines)
1960's Premier Gold Glitter Student Snare kit
1960's-? MIJ Snares (way-way too many)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM
bunnyman bunnyman is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,829
Default Re: Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungus amungus View Post
Well this ones not on there either:

"Where's the input jacks?"

The one I heard the most was, "How do you make them sound like that?"
At the time I was playing an old Sears kit that was borrowed because my 60's Slingy Double Bass kit had been stolen. Told them that I'd cleaned them, sealed the interior, touched up the bearing edges, replaced the heads & tuned them.

Their next question was always, "What the hell are bearing edges?"
I remember someone asking why my drums weren't plugged in.
__________________
Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 AM
DaddyNowhere DaddyNowhere is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 602
Default Re: Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

Another, not listed in options: My sister in-law, upon seeing my SBP Ludwigs, under colored lighting, asked me if I'd wrapped them in duct tape...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 PM
bunnyman bunnyman is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,829
Default Re: Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyNowhere View Post
Another, not listed in options: My sister in-law, upon seeing my SBP Ludwigs, under colored lighting, asked me if I'd wrapped them in duct tape...
Funny!!!

I think maybe those of you who have an answer that is not listed above should vote "bacon" and post the weirdest thing said.
__________________
Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM
larryvonludwig larryvonludwig is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 266
Default Re: Poll: oddest thing ever said about your vintage kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
Funny!!!

I think maybe those of you who have an answer that is not listed above should vote "bacon" and post the weirdest thing said.
actually, someone here did recently call the Kent red oyster , "bacon wrapped".
since I have a snare, tom and bass in that , I'll consider it said to me too.
( When will these voices in my head shut up?)
larry
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign