Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-16-2017, 11:22 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default My Slingerland Tempo King - First Generation

Here’s a Slingerland pedal you rarely see; it’s the first generation Tempo King 938. I acquired it a few years ago and finally got around to cleaning it up. All original except for the new leather strap and the bolt/nut holding the metal “straps” to the “clevis”. Slingerland shows this version of the 938 in the majority of catalogs, even though it was discontinued shortly after introduction.

In my catalogs that show the parts breakdown of the Tempo King, there is always that “clevis” part that had me stumped, as I really didn’t know what a clevis was and why I never saw it on any Tempo King pedals. My second post will show more pictures of what makes this pedal unique.

This first-generation pedal has a blue crinkle paint job! I believe this same finish was used on the AA pedal. Notice the Allen setscrew next to the cam. This is original and was soon replaced with an oval-head slotted screw. This first generation cam has the hole going completely through, where it attaches to the rocker shaft. Later cams have a molded cover so you can’t see the rocker shaft. Finally, the bearings are fully sealed. Slingerland changed bearings quite a bit during the life of the Tempo King, with many being fully open where you can see the ball bearings!

This is just a cool pedal for my Slingerland collection!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	112324   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	112325   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	112326   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	112327  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	112328  
Old 09-16-2017, 11:23 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: My Slingerland Tempo King - First Generation

Here’s what makes this first-generation Tempo King unique… it’s the use of the “clevis”. As you can see, the footboard “straps” are attached to the clevis. In turn, the clevis can be inserted in any of the 3 holes to provide left/middle/right positioning of the footboard. A cool feature that I have never seen mentioned in early ads for the Tempo King.

My guess was that the cost for the first generation Tempo King was higher than expected, so changes were soon implemented to the version that most of us are familiar with.

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	112329   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	112330   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	112331   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	112332  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	112333  
Old 09-17-2017, 12:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Arrow Re: My Slingerland Tempo King - First Generation

I like the Clevis.
Good design.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:25 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Learn something new everyday... I have never seen that version of the pedal.. (despite having owned 3 or 4 since the late sixties)..
So if using the clevis for offset use of the pedal, then the leather strap must have a slight twist in it?? ..

Thanks for posting..
Cheers
John
Old 09-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by green glass drum View Post
I like the Clevis.
Good design.
Yes, it was a good design! Probably cost more to make a new mold to recast the frame to the design we are all familiar with!

-Mark
Old 09-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Learn something new everyday... I have never seen that version of the pedal.. (despite having owned 3 or 4 since the late sixties)..
So if using the clevis for offset use of the pedal, then the leather strap must have a slight twist in it?? ..

Thanks for posting..
Cheers
John
Hi John!

Yeah, that whole "clevis" thing was confusing. It always showed up in the parts section, yet I never saw a pedal that had it!

As for a slight twist in the leather strap... hard to say. The original strap was fairly thin, so I guess if you used the pedal for a long time in the right or left position, I can see a twist developing. With the new and thicker strap that is on the pedal, I'm not sure if a twist would develop. The Rogers Swivomatic also had a swivel foot board feature. I don't recall ever reading, or hearing, about a twist in the strap.

-Mark