Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Wanted to Buy

Old 03-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Default Capri Pearl

Looking for Capri Pearl, snares in particular.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Capri Pearl

I've got a bass drum
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, I'll keep it noted. Size? and condition?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

https://www.hawthornedrumshop.com/sh...earl-bass-drum
Old 03-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Administrator

I would consider adding a color swatch photo of your bass drum. That is if you're trying to get a close match. Some are darker and richer and some have a purple hue. I have seen a range of Capri Pearl color variances.

I have two Capri Pearl snare drums, one in which I would be willing to let go.

The drum in question is a 3-ply with rings and has a purple hue to it. It is a Radio King configuration with the 3-point strainer and extended snare gates. Since it is not a single-ply shell, I refrain from calling it a Radio King

Also, let us know if you are in the USA and or International.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
I would consider adding a color swatch photo of your bass drum. That is if you're trying to get a close match. Some are darker and richer and some have a purple hue. I have seen a range of Capri Pearl color variances.

The drum in question is a 3-ply with rings and has a purple hue to it. It is a Radio King configuration with the 3-point strainer and extended snare gates. Since it is not a single-ply shell, I refrain from calling it a Radio King

Thanks!
Hi David!

In regards to you not calling your drum a Radio King, I'm going to quote a paragraph from page 159 of the second generation Slingerland Book...

"It has unfortunately become the custom among vintage drum dealers and collectors to refer to all Slingerland solid-shell wood drums as Radio Kings and to NOT consider any drum a Radio King UNLESS it has a one-piece (as opposed to plied) shell. What REALLY distinguished the Radio King models from other Slingerland drums were the "Radio King Brackets" which drew the tension on the snares OUTWARD rather than UPWARD."

So, even though your drum is a 3-ply and not solid, it's still a Radio King. Dollar wise, I'd say it's not worth as much as a single-ply RK, but still valuable non-the-less!

-Mark

Last edited by idrum4fun; 03-20-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: grammar!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Hi David!

In regards to you not calling your drum a Radio King, I'm going to quote a paragraph from page 159 of the second generation Slingerland Book...

"It has unfortunately become the custom among vintage drum dealers and collectors to refer to all Slingerland solid-shell wood drums as Radio Kings and to NOT consider any drum a Radio King UNLESS it has a one-piece (as opposed to plied) shell. What REALLY distinguished the Radio King models from other Slingerland drums were the "Radio King Brackets" which drew the tension on the snares OUTWARD rather than UPWARD."

So, even though your drum is a 3-ply and not solid, it's still a Radio King. Dollar wise, I'd say it's not worth as much as a single-ply RK, but still valuable non-the-less!

-Mark

I'm with you on that. I remember long ago calling it a Radio King and I was put in my place! It was so long ago! Thanks for checking in.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislehberger View Post
I bought the snare
Old 03-22-2017, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post

Thanks!
Interested. Message me about it please.