Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 08-30-2018, 02:44 PM

Default Noise from internal muffler

I am restoring an old Slingerland Field drum and am getting a buzz sound from the internal muffler. I have felted all the springs on the lugs, is there a way to prevent the buzz from the spring on the muffler?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Noise from internal muffler

I have had luck running a length of cotton (like you used to get in the aspirin bottle) inside the spring and over the ends of the spring/ You have to take it apart to install but it usually works....
Old 08-31-2018, 07:37 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Like JD, I do the same but use a piece of light grey felt so it is not as noticeable. Walmart, Clothworld, JoAnnes Fabric or Michael's all carry a variety of colored felt so you can choose your preferred color so it is not so noticeable, all for about $.75 a 12" x 12" piece. Will not get caught up in the threads and easy to use.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

What we really need is a picture of the muffler in question. The trick that many use to silence spring rattle in the lugs may not apply to an open spring in the muffler assembly. My guess is that this may be the dual-pad style muffler as used in snares and toms up through the 50's, where you had that open spring in the assembly. A picture would really help!

-Mark
Old 09-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Mark, you are right. It is a dual-pad muffler with an exposed spring. Note that the hinge is attached by rivets, so I am not comfortable taking that apart.
Here are a couple pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3175.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	121215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3176.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	121216  
Old 09-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Could it possibly be the hinge rattling? If so, Purdie Shuffle offered a similar solution for an external muffler (I think) a couple of years ago. Dental floss wrapped around the rivets! Not my idea but, one that works!
Brian
Old 09-05-2018, 01:26 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'm very familiar with this muffler and have never had any rattling issues with them. Once a little tension is applied with the knob, it's usually enough to keep the mechanism from rattling. Without seeing it up close, I'm not sure where this noise is coming from. Are you able to install the knob and add some tension? If so, just tapping around the muffler should reveal what's making noise. Can you tell if it's coming from around the rivets? I've never had this issue, but others may have.

-Mark
Old 09-08-2018, 07:26 AM

For my noisy internal dampers, I know that it's hard to get dampening material into those areas held by a rivet: I just paint some rubber glue into that area and let it flow into the crevasses and let it dry. Sometimes it lasts for a year, sometimes it lasts for five years.

Tags
buzz , muffler , repair , restoration , spring