Old 02-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Default original bass drum/cym attachment technique
I'm looking for info regarding what was often called the "bass drum cymbal attachment" on early drumsets. A cymbal mounted vertically on the front of the bass drum, struck by a metal beater that attached to the beater shaft of the bass drum pedal. It was notated by adding the word "together" next to the bass drum notes, often abbreviated to "tog," indicating that the bass drum and cymbal should be struck together. The old drumset photo below shows a typical cym attachment. (Not talking about low boy or sock cym)

I'm seeking info about the actual technique of raising and lowering the cym beater attachment while playing. The information I've found indicates that this move was executed with the foot that was playing the pedal. However, music of the period often gives the player so many moves back and forth- with attachment to without attachment - that the moves of the foot, kicking the attachment on and off (while simultaneously playing the bass drum with the same foot) become impossibly virtuosic.

It seems that this problem was solved with the addition of the "alternator" to the pedal. Based on the images below, alternator was a term used to describe any device that improved the drummer's ability to move the cymbal attachment into playing position. There are images of a lever that pulled the cymbal out to place it within range of the beater. Also, the pedal below labeled "Alternating Model Super-Speed Pedal" seems to have a different system that I don't fully understand.

Does anyone have more info on the "Alternating Model Super-Speed Pedal" shown in the photo? Or, better yet, does anyone have that pedal?
If you have an alternating pedal, or any other pedal that has a solution for moving your cymbal attachment into position, I'd love to see it.
Any info about alternators and pedal attachment technique is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: original bass drum/cym attachment technique
Forum member Saz has one of those. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:56 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: original bass drum/cym attachment technique
It looks to me like the attachment is aside the pedal and to activate, it`s like going from gas to brake when driving. or, Very similar motion.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i

Tags
alternator , attachment , cymbal , pedal , vintage