Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 02-01-2017, 10:46 PM

Default Drummers wearing gloves

Playing both guitar and drums I have gotten into the habit of wearing those inexpensive black cotton gloves when carrying equipment. This keeps all those guitar case and pedal board handles from getting grungy, and also my chrome drum stands and rims stay nice and brilliant.

The only drummer that I have seen wearing gloves is Joey Kramer of Aerosmith, and think his are leather. For my drumming I will be getting all 6 of my 1980 Zildjian cymbals professionally restored to brilliant, and would like to keep them brilliant and new (restored), without a zillion fingerprints all over the place.

I just wonder if I'm dreaming, but my scheme would be to wear cotton gloves to grab and dampen the cymbals without gunking them up right away.

What might your comments be?

Last edited by idealassets; 02-01-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Drummers wearing gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealassets View Post
Playing both guitar and drums I have gotten into the habit of wearing those inexpensive black cotton gloves when carrying equipment. This keeps all those guitar case and pedal board handles from getting grungy, and also my chrome drum stands and rims stay nice and brilliant.

The only drummer that I have seen wearing gloves is Joey Kramer of Aerosmith, and think his are leather. For my drumming I will be getting all new cymbals and like to keep them brilliant and new, without a zillion fingerprints all over the place.

I just wonder if I'm dreaming, but my scheme would be to wear cotton gloves to grab and dampen the cymbals without gunking them up right away.

What might your comments be?
You fingerprints and the dirt and oil on your hands will not be the only reason your cymbals will develop a patina. there is dust, dirt and gunk in the air all around us. Wear gloves if it makes you happy, but if you're only doing it to keep your equipment shiny I think you're wasting your time.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

While the gloves will stop the day after fingerprints, there are other factors in play like BosLover has said. To cover all your bases, clean up and shine after use, gloves during use shouldn`t matter.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Dave Grohl used gloves pretty often when playing with Them Crooked Vultures. He got sweaty as all hell and drank a lot of water, so he used the gloves to stop the sticks from slipping out of his hands all the time. I feel gloves are effective for that, but I'm not sure if they're worth it just to keep the cymbals clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3279346.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	106435   Click image for larger version

Name:	ar-d02178_199l.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	106436   Click image for larger version

Name:	14-Coach1500.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	106437  
  • 1959 Rogers Holiday 5x14 snare drum in blue sparkle. Serial number #13382. Large double sided bread and butter lugs. Part of my kit that was split up before I purchased it. Bring the snare home!
Old 02-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'm gonna step in and agree with everyone who says that wearing gloves, although will help if only for a brief period, will not prevent you from keeping your cymbals shiny and fingerprintless. You'd have to have your gloves on the whole time, from the time you handle them at home, to the time they're back in their case. Even then, your drum sticks will leave marks on your cymbals when you play.. It's a normal, natural thing. Attempting to keep them shiny and new
is next to impossible, even if a drummer has OCD ! The air is filled with moisture, dust, particles,
especially in live music venues. Even the classiest, nicest venues will have dust and gunk in the air.
So i'm afraid you're outta luck. Leave your cymbals alone, let them get dirty and develop
a patina, until you feel it's time to give them another shine/clean up again. I still have some blood stains on
one of my crashes ! LOL ! Battle scars from a good gigging night !
Paying money to have them professionally cleaned is a waste of time and $$, and can easily be done at home.

Last edited by human71; 02-03-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have to agree with everyone else. I tried to do exactly what you're trying to do for years with my set of brilliant A Zildjians several years ago. I never handled them with bare hands, but I'd always end up having to clean them after a year or two. Also, someone is going to touch your cymbals eventually.

Another thing, if you try this, wear leather gloves...a stick will fly right our of hand if you wear a cotton glove. I had the black leather Zildjian gloves, but the leather breaks down over time from your sweat.

That's my .

Lynn

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Old 02-03-2017, 04:45 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

What I want to know is who the hell is claiming to be a professional cymbal cleaner and charging for it???

+1 to all above comments.
60's Gretsch RB Champaigne Spark
70's Rogers Big R Black
90's Sonor Hilite (Red maple)
00's DW Collectors Broken Glass
00's DW Jazz Series Tangerine Glass
10's DW Collectors (Acrylic) Matt Black Wrap
10's PDP Concept Wood Hoop kit (Maple)
Proud ambassador of the British Drum Company
Old 02-03-2017, 06:32 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Someone suggested this product on DFO, there is a thread on cymbal polishing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Malco-Twi...eaner/19663351

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Old 02-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

I used gloves when I had hand problems and a lot of gigs. I had a long illness which took my strength away and I lost a lot of weight. So when I got better, I was still thin but didn't build the strength back in my hands so I just had problem after problem of gripping the sticks at the end of a 2-3hr gig. My 6As or 8as would break so I went to larger sticks and just had to go to gloves when it got louder.

As I got my strength back and went back to 8a's, I no longer needed the gloves.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

The whole thing about keeping cymbals pristine sounds a little compulsive/obsessive to me. Cymbals will tarnish and take on a patina over time no matter what you do. Personally, I don't like gloves because I feel like I lose 'touch' with the sticks. It just feels uncomfortable to me. Cymbals are going to tarnish... make your peace with reality. Funny, I actually like my cymbals with their age patina. It may not be true, but I think it even makes them sound mellower.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm