Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 06-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: 1964/1965 Ludwig set in white wrap?

That floor tom is odd, does look Ludwig but also looks like it's 4 plies which would not have re-rings. Possibly someone took a later Rocker model and added re-rings which might explain the weird butt joint of the ring. Really can't tell from your pictures.

In my earlier post I thought you meant there was a muffler on both the top and bottom heads, not two on one head. That is pretty uncommon but not out of the question I guess if someone REALLY wanted to muffle the sound.

I'd guess the bass drum originally had a rail mount and the double tom mount was added later. That would explain the holes for a missing cymbal mount. Incidentally the badge should be located between the post bracket and the front head on the bass...so either the base plate is mounted backwards on the bass shell (tightening screw on the opposite side from the batter head) or the whole bass drum has been re-oriented backwards.

Definitely some funny business here. The question is whether the seller was aware of all this (perhaps even the perpetrator of the carnage) or just someone with limited knowledge who happened to obtain these drums and just assumed they were as described to him.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:23 PM

I just found that the wrap is actually a WMP turn around...

You can see it in the picture where I show the wood in the 16x16
Old 06-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I thought I saw a yellowed wmp but thought my brain not working right so I put it up too a lot of glue
Well I’ll be could we get a closer look ?
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 06-18-2018, 04:16 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floti View Post
I just found that the wrap is actually a WMP turn around...

You can see it in the picture where I show the wood in the 16x16
Why in the world would someone do that? I mean, if you spent the money on the new WMP wrap, then why when you were re-wrapping them would you put the wrap on inside out?? Why not just buy white cortex if you wanted a plain white? It is cheaper after all............this just boggles the mind!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:19 AM

haha, I have no clue! I guess maybe the original owner did have the drums in WMP and as they yellowed came up with this idea to make them look like new?? The guy I got the drums from said they were already like that in the late 60s... Maybe I have the original wrap there and can even put it correctly again...
Iīm still not sure about the TOM anyway. 4Ply rocker makes sense, but the re-ring seems like too much work, right? Also if I believe the guy, how can an 80īs drum be there with the other drums? I donīt know, itīs a mistery.. Were the standard from the late 60īs 4ply?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

No 4 ply Ludwig drums before the 1980s and none with re rings ever. Does that floor tom have a scarf joint? Even if Ludwig did make a 4 ply drum prior to around 1978 (when they introduced the 6 ply shells) it would have a scarf joint, not the staggered seams of the later drums.

My guess this is not the original wrap removed and reversed, which would be nearly impossible to achieve with any worthwhile results. Rather someone who had some wmp wrap on hand did a rewrap in the 80s or 90s when white drums were popular and wmp was old hat. Rather than buy wrap they reversed what they already had.

No idea why someone would go to the trouble of adding re-rings (other than to try to counterfeit a vintage Ludwig) but it doesn't look right to me.

Standard drums from the late 60s/early 70s used the same 3 ply shell with rings as the regular Ludwigs.

Not sure what you have there but almost certainly either that floor tom is not Ludwig or, if it is a Ludwig, it is much newer than the other drums

Last edited by K.O.; 06-19-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

My head hurts trying to figure out what exactly happened here! If these were mine I would strip off the wrap, plug extra holes(I see something funny at the front of the bass drum) and rewrap in a period correct finish. In fact I like rail mounts so I would probably alter this set to a super classic set up and rewrap it in a sparkle or an oyster black.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

If there were side views we could see better what`s there and it`s condition. Nuf Ludwig trim to do like kurt says, make decent Ludwig players kit out of it.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Duco would probably be cheapest exterior finish and a quart of Ben Moore flat would do insides.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Like this, drumr69 put up. It`s doable with auto touch up paint from autozone. Probably $40 worth of spraypaint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ludwig duco.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	119588